Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Rhino Fan Help Please!

Go down 
+7
DrMud
Moto92
Mud-and-Guts
oldmustangjunkie
griz700rocket
RedRzr
kjack
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
kjack
Lite Mudder
kjack

Rhino Fan Help Please! Empty
PostSubject: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 3:15 pm

Ok got the rhino out the other day to go around the block,when i pulled back in the driveway my overheat light came on so i cut it off to cool down.i then noticed the fan not coming on at all.since then i have tested my fan by putting 12 volts to it and it worked fine.i completely took the radiator and oil cooler out and sprayed them out good.i burped the coolant system when i put it back in.started the rhino up and went down the road and still the fan wont kick on.this time i didnt let it get hot enough for the light to kick on though.what could be causing the fan not to come on.i dont know a whole lot about mechanics but can do the basics.what tells the fan to even come on?any help would really be appreciated..
Back to top Go down
RedRzr
Heavy Mudder
RedRzr

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 4:02 pm

Don't know anything about the rhino but it sounds like a bad relay, maybe someone will chime in.
Back to top Go down
griz700rocket
Beginner
griz700rocket

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 4:13 pm

On the grizzly's there is power to the temperature switch located in the radiator anytime the key is on. If it has power to the switch then test the switch by removing it, dropping it into a pot of boiling water and then checking it for continuity.
Back to top Go down
griz700rocket
Beginner
griz700rocket

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 4:14 pm

P.S. there are two separate switches. One to turn the fan on located in the radiator and one for the temp light located in the head.
Back to top Go down
oldmustangjunkie
Moderate Mudder
oldmustangjunkie

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 4:16 pm

Check for power to the sensor/switch with the motor running. The switch is on the pass side near the rad hose. If you have power there, take out the switch and measure the continuity like mentioned above.
Back to top Go down
kjack
Lite Mudder
kjack

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 5:09 pm

ok i dont know if the 700s are different or i just aint looking for the right thing..but mine dont have any kind of switch or wires coming out of the radiator.only hoses..i dont get how it even tells the fan its hot..but i do think its a switch or relay just dont know where either is on this thing.
Back to top Go down
kjack
Lite Mudder
kjack

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 5:14 pm

there are only two wires coming from the fan to a connector.when i try to follow that wire it goes into a bigger group of wires that go into the battery box and i cant trace them from there..sorry to be so aggravating guys im just stumped on this one.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 6:20 pm

Check the wires going to the fan to see if they are getting voltage (when warm) if it is its a bad fan, if it is not getting voltage it is one of the sensors. Mine did the same thing a few years ago and it was a bad fan.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyThu Mar 15, 2012 9:51 pm

my fan crapped out on me one day.
i bought another one on rhinoforums for $40
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 am

wash the fan out good with water.sons was doing this, full of mud, washed it out worked good.
Back to top Go down
kjack
Lite Mudder
kjack

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 10:46 am

thanks for the tips guys im going to try to test the wires going to the fan this weekend.never thought to try that.i also will wash the fan out cause i didnt wash it when i had the radiator out.dumb i know since it was already out.ill let you know what the test turns out,if it is not the fan i may need some help on what to check next.
Back to top Go down
kjack
Lite Mudder
kjack

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 9:18 am

i didnt have any time to fool with it this weekend so im hoping to get to try to mess with it this week sometime.do the 700s have a thermostat i could check?
Back to top Go down
kjack
Lite Mudder
kjack

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 2:12 pm

OK last night i found the thermostat and took it out to find it was stuck open..could this be what is causing my problem or would the overheating be what caused the thermostat to get stuck in the first place?
Back to top Go down
griz700rocket
Beginner
griz700rocket

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 6:11 pm

Stuck thermostats can cause overheating in cars so I would assume the same in our 700s. Shouldn't explain why the fan wasn't working though.
Back to top Go down
RIDERED
Over the Top Mudder
RIDERED

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 6:19 pm

With the thermostat open you should run cooler and" maybe" not have the fan kick on until the bike was under a load or pulling hard or just rode it awhile ,the thermostat regulates the water ,so after a period of time it will overheat .... but if your temp light comes on that should be more than hot enough to come on ..... when your light came on the other day did you hear the water / antifreeze boiling ? water boils at 212 and proper antifreeze water mix together boils at 230 I believe .... scratch
Back to top Go down
RIDERED
Over the Top Mudder
RIDERED

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 6:20 pm

Rhino Fan Help Please! 982852 to what grizz700 said also
Back to top Go down
kjack
Lite Mudder
kjack

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 10:06 am

yes when it did overheat the water was gurgling and coming out the overflow in the dash.hasnt got hot enough to do it again though.maybe im not letting it get hot enough for the fan to kick on now.i have let it idle in the garage and drove it down the road to the point it should kick in though.do i need to put a thermostat back in?the 660s dont have them so what is the benefit?
Back to top Go down
kjack
Lite Mudder
kjack

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 10:09 am

and i agree i dont think the thermostat is what is causing the fan not to work,what a nightmare.
Back to top Go down
griz700rocket
Beginner
griz700rocket

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 10:21 am

If you don't put one back in it would be the same as having the old one stuck open.
Back to top Go down
kjack
Lite Mudder
kjack

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 11:09 am

Good Point lol.wouldnt change anything would it.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyWed Mar 21, 2012 7:43 pm

No thermostat would yield faster cylinder wear. Metal gets harder and wears less around 180-200 degrees.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
kjack
Lite Mudder
kjack

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 11:30 am

ok when it rains it pours!lol.havent really messed wih the rhino much since last update but i noticed last night i have a puddle of oil under it now.it has never leaked oil before...so im thinking maybe blown head gasket?my oil dont look milky though.any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
kjack
Lite Mudder
kjack

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 3:13 pm

just stoped by the yamaha dealer and the mechanic dont think it is a head gasket he said its probably some kind of seal?he also told me not to put a thermostat back in???
Back to top Go down
RIDERED
Over the Top Mudder
RIDERED

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 9:39 pm

well maybe the two things are unrelated, I haven't run a 700 without a thermostat so I couldnt tell you on that....
Back to top Go down
Bubbanewf
Beginner
Bubbanewf

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! EmptyFri Mar 30, 2012 2:27 pm

Its no different than a car. Its in there to let the engine heat up faster and thereby burn cleaner for less air polution. It wont make much difference now but in winter, you would have to wait a lot longer for it to warm up and get good driveability.
Is there transmission cooling involving your radiator on the Rhino? Any cracked lines going in or out down there? Dont believe in coincidences!! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rhino Fan Help Please!   Rhino Fan Help Please! Empty

Back to top Go down

Rhino Fan Help Please!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next