Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Understanding the Snatch Block!

Go down 
+3
RIDERED
The Big Show
Mud-and-Guts
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Understanding the Snatch Block! Empty
PostSubject: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 2:16 am

A snatch block is a commonly miss understood tool that can be a big help when stuck in a deep mud hole or when you are trying to make due with an under powered winch. A snatch block can also be used to change the direction of which the winch will pull when there is nothing directly in front of your bike (or the direction you need to pull).

A common miss conception with a snatch block is that it will double your pulling power which is close but not exactly true. In the following When I say load I am referring to the amount of force in pounds that is required to move the object being pulled (bike).

When using one snatch block correctly you can use the equation:
1.1 x load / 2=force required from the winch.

To find the total force required from the winch you must first take the total load required to move your bike and multiply it by 1.1 to calculate for the friction added by the rope passing through the snatch block. For example a 1000lbs load pulled through a snatch block becomes an 1100lbs load due to the added friction which is calculated by using the following equation 1000x1.1=1100. By attaching the snatch block to a tree then running the winch cable through the snatch block and back to the load will create two things a slower rate of pull and less load on the winch. Now you have two points of attachment to the bike which will equally divide the total load by two. When using a single snatch block the original 1000lbs load multiplied by 1.1 and divided by 2 parts now requires 550lbs of force from the winch to be moved.

You might ask where did I get the 10%! Well it is the industry standard in the utility industry to calculate 10% for each pulley. 10% is not always exact due to the differences in pulleys and the size of the rope but it is a good base line figure..
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
The Big Show
Lite Mudder
The Big Show

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:42 am

Thanks for sharing Understanding the Snatch Block! 882448
Back to top Go down
RIDERED
Over the Top Mudder
RIDERED

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 4:10 pm

Understanding the Snatch Block! 728588

So when are you making a video,seeing that the winch is ready... lol
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 4:13 pm

RIDERED wrote:
Understanding the Snatch Block! 728588

So when are you making a video,seeing that the winch is ready... lol

I don't know just yet! I want to make a few tutorial videos and see how they turn out but I got to find the time... lol
Back to top Go down
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 8:36 pm

theres too much math in that post.
lets just say snatch blocks are good to have in the tool box.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:17 pm

Moto92 wrote:
theres too much math in that post.
lets just say snatch blocks are good to have in the tool box.

I know I wrote it and it confused me! lol We had rigging in school and I found it interesting because of how much we could use offroading...
Back to top Go down
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 10:33 pm

just make sure to clean off your block when done.
you never want to go back home with a dirty snatch
Understanding the Snatch Block! 725964
Back to top Go down
Rincon Jed
Lite Mudder
Rincon Jed

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptyThu Jan 20, 2011 12:13 am

Good point Moto92!
Back to top Go down
wvyankee2
Lite Mudder
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptyTue Jan 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Moto92 wrote:

Makes it rough on the next guy that wants to use it too. Understanding the Snatch Block! 9695
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 8:25 pm

wvyankee2 wrote:
Moto92 wrote:

Makes it rough on the next guy that wants to use it too. Understanding the Snatch Block! 9695

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
baronthered
Lite Mudder
baronthered

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 3:41 pm

There could be a lot more math involved if you start counting how deep you're stuck and in what. Adding an incline to the mix and a few of the other variables like just the weight of the machine as it sits and it's very easy to find out the winch you have is very badly undersized.

Different types of mud have different "gripping" properties and so do different kinds of sand.

Tire width and height.

Add another ten percent for every turn around a block as well.

Some times combinations of these things can add (and multiply) up to more a 100% greater load than just the machine weighs.

and it goes on and on...

Not trying to be a buzzkill. If anyone is interested I can dig out my formula sheet and try and post it.

It's not as big a deal for say a quad or alight SXS but as vehicle weight increases the numbers get bigger very fast.

Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 4:23 pm

baronthered wrote:
There could be a lot more math involved if you start counting how deep you're stuck and in what. Adding an incline to the mix and a few of the other variables like just the weight of the machine as it sits and it's very easy to find out the winch you have is very badly undersized.

Different types of mud have different "gripping" properties and so do different kinds of sand.

Tire width and height.

Add another ten percent for every turn around a block as well.

Some times combinations of these things can add (and multiply) up to more a 100% greater load than just the machine weighs.

and it goes on and on...

Not trying to be a buzzkill. If anyone is interested I can dig out my formula sheet and try and post it.

It's not as big a deal for say a quad or alight SXS but as vehicle weight increases the numbers get bigger very fast.

So true brother! That's why I always recommend the biggest winch you can afford. Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptyThu Nov 17, 2011 6:11 pm

guess i should try using the block some time. i have two of them and have never used them
Back to top Go down
baronthered
Lite Mudder
baronthered

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! EmptyFri Nov 18, 2011 6:31 am

[/quote]So true brother! That's why I always recommend the biggest winch you can afford. Thanks for sharing! [/quote]

Glad someone enjoyed it. Very Happy I'll look for the formula sheet/card I made a few years ago. It is kind of like a flow chart. Input vehicle weight and basically find the variables that match the situation, do the operations mathematically left to right and voila! a fair approximation of how much weight you will need to pull. Recovery starts from there. I just hope I didn't lose the files when this heap of electronics crashed. Gotta love redundancy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Understanding the Snatch Block!   Understanding the Snatch Block! Empty

Back to top Go down

Understanding the Snatch Block!
Page 1 of 1