Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking

Go down 
+2
mudhound
DrMud
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking Empty
PostSubject: RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking   RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 7:59 am

I am interested in discovering any common issues of cause and effect of these water pump seals leaking.

My RZR had the three out of four seals changed on waterpump first then the fourth oil seal started after one more ride requiring the motor to be pulled..according to my dealer. This repair took a month. Polaris wanted my crankshaft run out mic'd, made me wonder if they actually know what the problem is.

I have one friend that does not ride much with a 2012 RZR 800, his waterpump seals went out. His dealer told him that these were installed wrong at the factory rolling the seal over and have created this problem. Polaris fixed his out of warranty. He has zero modifications.

Several others are suffering this same fate. My understanding is if the shaft is not polished and cleaned properly that the seals get ate out again. SOme on the RZR forum are inserting a grease zirk fitting into the weep hle after drilling out the center of the grease fitting, then attaching a vent line to prevent mud and sand from entering. This is my plan if I do not sell it. Any other thoughts?
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

PostSubject: Re: RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking   RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 8:02 am

Sadly, I bet you will sell it. I love the way those things ride! However, the repairs and other issues make one go wait a sec......
I do wonder if the other SXS's have such issues??
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking   RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 10:19 am

Hey Gary, How have you been, the sale depends on how much money I can stand to lose vs do I stop the blood letting now. Only 20 grand in for 1200 miles of riding. Plus, a couple thou on warranty work all related to this issue.

Meanwhile, my Grizzly which I have beat the crap out of, is still ready to ride.
Back to top Go down
MattN03
Heavy Mudder
MattN03

PostSubject: Re: RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking   RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 12:23 pm

We install seals over pneumatic cylinder rods all day where I work (major pneumatics company) and it's very easy to damage seals during installation. Hopefully, Polaris will stand behind their machines and make it right for all their owners.
Back to top Go down
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

PostSubject: Re: RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking   RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 1:01 pm

On my Honda rincon the water pump seal would leak if you didn't run a hose off the weep hole fitting up to the handle bars where water and junk didn't get in the seal. I have over 1600 miles on the rzr without putting anything on the water pump weep hole, but I plan on it. If the shaft is rough where the seal runs new seals won't last long either.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking   RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 2:13 pm

So uh, Matt. What time are you getting home tonight?
Back to top Go down
MattN03
Heavy Mudder
MattN03

PostSubject: Re: RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking   RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 4:51 pm

Call or text anytime
Back to top Go down
roadiestar
Lite Mudder
roadiestar

PostSubject: Re: RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking   RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 6:32 pm

Just changed the seal on mine. It lasted 2000 miles. Behind the the seal it was full of dirt and other ****. They are not hard to change but they cost $45 each.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking   RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 6:37 pm

New strategy, dealer wants me to try a new radiator cap and drive it like I stole it.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking   RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 8:36 pm

DrMud wrote:
New strategy, dealer wants me to try a new radiator cap and drive it like I stole it.

Is it a different weight than the one on it now?
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking   RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 11:38 pm

The next step will be to reduce the pressure of the radiator cap to a 9 r 10 lb. He thought a Geo might fit it. The first step is the new radiator cap off of a new one.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking   RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 7:27 am

Ah, so he thinks yours might be defective. What is the stock cap rated? Makes sense.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking   RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking Empty

Back to top Go down

RZR Water Pump Seal Leaking
Page 1 of 1