Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Brake Switch

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Brake Switch Empty
PostSubject: Brake Switch   Brake Switch EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 11:31 pm

Background:  Rode Turkey Bay in the RZR yesterday, saturday.  They had a 1.5" rain in ten minutes friday, place was washed out worse than ever seen before, and a lot of rocks washed to the top or the dirt was all washed away leaving the place very bouldery.  Had a friend of my sons with me in the RZR.  He wanted to ride in it. So there we where, back in the woods, came up on two people on motorbikes and one still on the hill, pushing bike back down, she had rolled a rock under the front tire and crashed, broke the clutch lever off of the handle bars, we pulled out a few zip ties and they rode with us another hour.... after...."we got my RZR to start".  Hit the key, all of the lights come on, fuel pump runs, starter does not engage....I reassuring told my sons friend, Brandon, "that I don't have a clue".  

Now, we are back in the woods. I say outloud, I swear this acts like the brake pedal is not depressed, but it was.  Brandon, very motivated, says lets rock it, so we do, in gear, hit the starter, varooom!  We all decide to head back towards the truck. Motorbikes too.  Get there, without incident, shut RZR off, starts, Varooom!...couple more times decide to ride, invite motorbike riders to join in, They do, we rode another hour on the easiest trails there which were washed out worse than ever seen before....still a little leary on my RZR, want to be able to get to it with the truck.  Get home wash it, all good, leave in yard to dry and wash somemore today.  Son goes to put it up tonight...nothing, same deal.  Everything powers up, fuel pump runs starte does not engage.  So my son looks distressed but told him the best news is it acted up here in the yard again.

Pull the manual out and start reading, did a quick look for the brake position sensor, could not find it under the dash or on the master cylender, back to the book.  Page 10.38 of manual, STARTING SYSTEM FLOW CHART:

Check battery voltage...I did with a meter..good.  

Disconnect the two wire deal coming out of the solenoid, check voltage, Orange wire is negative and positive is Green/white wire, should have 12 volts, nothing.  

Book sends me to the EFI 20 amp fuse, check voltage, normal, says my switch is bad, Book tells me to check voltage there...I do not know how to do that, and fat people do not fit up under the dash of these things...so I decide to skip that and go to solenoid.  Start checking wires...blah blah blah....look down just past the solenoid, and  low and behold, there is a elctronic sensor with  brake lines running out of it.  I have been looking for that, so I move it, kinda loose, hit the starter....varoom!  Pull wire off and clean with some wd-40...varoom.  

Write that down in your book to check when your RZR wont start in the woods.  And, this is not on page 10.38 of the manual.  

Special thanks to my wonderfull wife who held the flashlight while the mosquitoes had a fiesta.
Back to top Go down
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

Brake Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Switch   Brake Switch EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 11:55 pm

Turkey bay sure is getting washed out bad. The brake pressure switch is another one of the non watertite connections on the rzr that gives trouble. I put dialetric grease on mine when it was new and seems to have worked so far. The fan breaker gives some trouble also since they put it near the battery and not under the dash anymore.
Back to top Go down
possume22
Moderate Mudder
possume22

Brake Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Switch   Brake Switch EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 1:00 am

red rzrrider what year did they stop mounting the fan breakers under the dash just wondering
Back to top Go down
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

Brake Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Switch   Brake Switch EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 7:20 am

I think 2010 was last year they put them under the dash
Back to top Go down
Sponge
Moderate Mudder
Sponge

Brake Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Switch   Brake Switch EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 11:10 am

My start switch on my 2011 went bad also. It is located on the master cyclinder. I would have to push very hard on the brake pedal to get it to work. They replaced it under the extended warranty.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Brake Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Switch   Brake Switch EmptyWed Jul 10, 2013 7:27 am

That sucks brother! It Looks like we need to completely disassemble them and put them back together the right way! Brake Switch 789354 
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
Sponsored content

Brake Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brake Switch   Brake Switch Empty

Back to top Go down

Brake Switch
Page 1 of 1