Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

hand held gps units

Go down 
+3
DrMud
kymedic
Bluedevil
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Bluedevil
Heavy Mudder
Bluedevil

hand held gps units Empty
PostSubject: hand held gps units   hand held gps units EmptySun May 26, 2013 10:07 pm

Hey guy's I am looking at a garmin oregon 450 gps and was wondering If any of you have had one before or still use one? If you liked it or hated it? I've never had a handheld gps and really don't want to spend a fortune on one. any info would be great.
Back to top Go down
kymedic
Beginner
kymedic

PostSubject: Re: hand held gps units   hand held gps units EmptyThu May 30, 2013 4:59 am

I have a Garmin Nuvi 500 which is waterproof and also has the TOPO maps on it. love it.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: hand held gps units   hand held gps units EmptyThu May 30, 2013 8:35 am

I have the Garmin Oegon 550 T , actually have two of them, love it, bought the second one recently for 300 bucks online through Cabellas, 200 off normal price.

T stands for topographical which I really like.
Back to top Go down
MattN03
Heavy Mudder
MattN03

PostSubject: Re: hand held gps units   hand held gps units EmptyThu May 30, 2013 12:44 pm

I have the 450t. It's a great GPS, but the backlighting from the factory is poor, and makes it hard to see the display. I've brightened the settings, and put a solid white background image on the screen and now can read it easily. The display still is not as good as a current smartphone, but it works fine. Garmin just came out with an Oregon 600 & 650. I believe these are supposed to have even sharper screen images.

I really was forced to use it a lot in Bell Co over Memorial Day because I never lead, but did some on Friday & Sunday. It worked like a champ and got us from "on park" all the way to Hensley's and then back to Marty's with only one minor turn around because I was zoomed out so far, I didn't see the minor turn. You can also share your maps with other Garmin users, which I've done, and it works well too.
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

PostSubject: Re: hand held gps units   hand held gps units EmptyFri May 31, 2013 6:44 am

Thankfully I have this GPS called a brain. Sure, it misfires some. Yep, it often times takes time to load. Yes, it sometimes zeros in on odd items. I just hope the batteries do not run low.

Back to top Go down
Bluedevil
Heavy Mudder
Bluedevil

PostSubject: Re: hand held gps units   hand held gps units EmptyFri May 31, 2013 5:05 pm

thanks guy's
Back to top Go down
Kyatvrider
Lite Mudder
Kyatvrider

PostSubject: Re: hand held gps units   hand held gps units EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 11:13 pm

Just got the Montana 650t, awesome it is!!
Back to top Go down
atl
Moderate Mudder
atl

PostSubject: Re: hand held gps units   hand held gps units EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 9:17 pm

I've got a DeLORME PN-40 and a Garmin 650t ,I think I perfer the 650t though. They both have similar operating systems. The 650t show greater details and it is a lot easier to use than the PN-40. The 650t has a touch 'to move the screen on it'. Also I got to remember to turn it off when traveling on the road or it will show the route I've traveled on the road? Not to sure about this one but I'll remember to have it off when traveling and see what it does. But the 650t seems to be working for right now. Now if it's Blue capable that just might be the bomb for me. Has anyone noticed the nikon AW100a camera? It will record video AND put it on a gps map at the same time! If only it had a mounting system though. And it Bluetooth capable to.
Back to top Go down
Bluedevil
Heavy Mudder
Bluedevil

PostSubject: Re: hand held gps units   hand held gps units EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 9:39 pm

Yeah that would be pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: hand held gps units   hand held gps units Empty

Back to top Go down

hand held gps units
Page 1 of 1