Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Hollarcrawler festival Ride report 2012

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Hollarcrawler festival Ride report 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Hollarcrawler festival Ride report 2012   Hollarcrawler festival Ride report 2012 EmptySun Oct 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Just a lot going on, and man what a crowd.
I brought the wife on her first real ride.

Friday: we rode an organized ride that Mudhound had prescouted. Mudhound was the guide. I enjoyed the slower pace that some of the riders set.....Not sure how many miles 45? miles. Twenty atv's and side by sides, twenty six people and one dog in our group, and another group about the same. Our ride went out the back and up the mountain to the left, rode down that a ways then up Cumberland Mountain range to whiterock. A great ride with minimal mechanical issues, one leaky tire that needed air a few times, and one overheat due to mud in radiator, but the Sponge squirt gun cleared that up.

A new rider rolled a Honda ATV right in front of my RZR, fortunately no one was hurt and he finished the ride. My wife had a front row seat and learned first hand how fast things can go wrong. He got a little crossed in a minor bad spot, then backed up, and bumped the throttle a little hard and shot up a bank backwards that dumped him forward, and the Honda rolled once completely, that missed him, then started again, he was scrambling to get clear, but the Honda stopped rolling...just in time.

Then at the top of the Whiterock side of the mtn, our tail gunner, in a new artic cat side by side, the sporty one, lost visibilty due to the sun and ran a tire up the bank at the wrong time and turned up on his side. Wrinkled some plastic on the fender, but all finished the ride.

The other group had a RZR slide on a slippery rock and roll over when starting the decent off the mountain from Whiterock. Fortunatley that one stopped on its side. This one could have been bad if started tumbling, would have went for a long way. Sorry, no pics or vids.

Saturday. We did a preagreed upon slow ride. We had new riders, both young and older. and several including me with new gear. We went up to Hensley Settlement, walked around some, ride went fine, no problems just some driver errors on my part. I had the most difficulty in a bad spot because I forgot to use 4 wheel drive. Then, three of us went on to Cawood, then ran the top of Cumberland MTN range back towards whiterock, then down the mountain for a 100 mile ride that day. We got back about 2 hours to early, looked like a wreck in Atlanta, atvs everywhere and traffic backed up for miles, we made it to our truck and kicked back and watched everybody try to go nowhere fast for a couple of hours. Then slipped out about the time Colt Ford was suppose to start playing, still a lot of people there.

Weather was a little chilly, had a cold bite to it, and most of day 2 was cloudy, my only regret was that I needed one more day of hard riding.
Back to top Go down
MattN03
Heavy Mudder
MattN03

PostSubject: Re: Hollarcrawler festival Ride report 2012   Hollarcrawler festival Ride report 2012 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 12:52 pm

Good ride report DrMud. We had a great time, just wished we could have rode with you all more!
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Hollarcrawler festival Ride report 2012   Hollarcrawler festival Ride report 2012 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 1:33 pm

I just found out that there was a fatality at the ride, from what I can gather from the internet, a motorcycle and a atv collided in a head on crash.

Last edited by DrMud on Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MattN03
Heavy Mudder
MattN03

PostSubject: Re: Hollarcrawler festival Ride report 2012   Hollarcrawler festival Ride report 2012 EmptyMon Oct 22, 2012 8:54 pm

DrMud wrote:
I just found out that there was a fatality at the ride, from what I can gather from the internet, a motorcycle rider hit a atv head on.

We heard there was a fatality from a head on collision, but wasn't sure of the exact details. A very sad thing, for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hollarcrawler festival Ride report 2012   Hollarcrawler festival Ride report 2012 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hollarcrawler festival Ride report 2012
Page 1 of 1