Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Dirt commanders

Go down 
+3
oldmustangjunkie
NCMudman
possume22
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
possume22
Moderate Mudder
possume22

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 12:07 am

Thinking about getting some 27 in dirt commanders Whats the good/bad on them ? how do they wear ? how do they ride with them being 8ply sidewalls ? thinking of running some on my rzr. I really like my bighorns but thinking of trying something different fronts are getting wore down after 3400 miles don't want something that rides ruff or wears to fast . I see a lots of good in old post but no long term reviews
Back to top Go down
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 7:52 pm

I've had 2 different sets and I absolutely loved them! They hook up great and and have a sturdy sidewalls. Sad thing is I didn't put enough miles on them to see how they wear.
I highly recommend them for sure!
Back to top Go down
possume22
Moderate Mudder
possume22

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyTue Dec 23, 2014 8:27 pm

NCMudman did you run them on your grizzly
Back to top Go down
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 6:30 am

Yeah.

Let's put it this way. Back when I first got the grizzly and wanted to get away from the stock tires, but before going to the radial laws, my brother actually had previously become acquainted with pro GNCC racer Scott Kilby and he purchased a set of big horns off of him for his atv. So we went to revisit him so I could get some tires. After talking to him about all the various tires he has races with, he told me that he felt like the dirt commanders offered the best bite for woods racing, and also did the best in muddy conditions.. And he has raced on just about any all terrain tire you can think of in that category!!

That help sell them to me!!
Back to top Go down
oldmustangjunkie
Moderate Mudder
oldmustangjunkie

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 10:26 am

Has anyone had Dirt Commanders and Bighorns? How do they match up for all around riding? I don't race or mud ride but I like to speed around a little and mud is unavoidable on many trails.
Back to top Go down
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyWed Dec 24, 2014 9:31 pm

Well to go with my post above, Scott kilby raced many races on bighorns. He said they are a super tough tire and offer great traction and handling. But he still thought the dirt commanders offered more bite. He said he could break loose the bighorns much easier than the dirt commanders... And we are talking on his heavily modified GNCC outlander 800.
Also, my brother had the bighorns on his foreman 500 while I Jade the dirt commanders. The horns big advantage was when aired down, they flexed better, of coarse due to being 6 ply, DC are 8 ply. I would also guess the the horns would wear better. The tread is a little closer together. But Scott was right, it was hard to break the DC loose on all but real loose terrain.

I am really wanting to own another set of DC one day!!
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 1:52 am

Personally I love the Dirt Commanders, of all the tires I have run they are the toughest by far. They have good solid sidewalls that stand up good in the hard turns, they offer excellent bite, they resist punctures, and they wear decent. I think I am fixing to go up to 29" Dirt Commanders on my RZR.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 1:59 am

Oh wow i didn't know they came out with a 29!!! That's awesome!!
Back to top Go down
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 2:01 am

Just looked on the GBC website, and heck they haven't even updated it to show the 27x12 on there...
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 9:44 am

The 29" should be available in the next month or so, its something new they did to replace the 29" RZR 1000 tire I think. They are for the 14"wheel but with a 29" I think a 14" wheel will be alright.
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 10:19 am

I love those Big Horns
Back to top Go down
roadiestar
Lite Mudder
roadiestar

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyThu Dec 25, 2014 11:17 am

I like that the new 900S didn't come with Flathorns . It will be nice to just ride without getting a flat every few miles
Back to top Go down
possume22
Moderate Mudder
possume22

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 1:29 am

I hear a lot of people talk down on bighorns but I really like them and almost everyone I ride with run them without problems
Back to top Go down
possume22
Moderate Mudder
possume22

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyFri Dec 26, 2014 1:30 am

NCMudman wrote:
Yeah.  

Let's put it this way. Back when I first got the grizzly and wanted to get away from the stock tires, but before going to the radial laws,  my brother actually had previously become acquainted with pro GNCC racer Scott Kilby and he purchased a set of big horns off of him for his atv.  So we went to revisit him so I could get some tires. After talking to him about all the various tires he has races with, he told me that he felt like the dirt commanders offered the best bite for woods racing, and also did the best in muddy conditions..  And he has raced on just about any all terrain tire you can think of in that category!!

That help sell them to me!!
thanks Ncmudman
Back to top Go down
LAGER570
Beginner
LAGER570

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 1:11 pm

I have a 2015 rzr 900s with the stock dirt commanders and I have a little over 600 miles on them and they are at about 50% tread. They didn't show much wear then all of a sudden they were down alot. Other then that they still ride/hook up good.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 6:11 pm

LAGER570 wrote:
I have a 2015 rzr 900s with the stock dirt commanders and I have a little over 600 miles on them and they are at about 50% tread. They didn't show much wear then all of a sudden they were down alot. Other then that they still ride/hook up good.

my stock 27" rears wore pretty quick on my 900S, The fronts did good though. That's another reason I went to 29", so they don't spin so easy.lol
Back to top Go down
LAGER570
Beginner
LAGER570

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 10:36 pm

Haha same thing is happening with my rear tires a.d the springs are sagging alot in the rear right now. Racertech springs wil be here next week. Did ya look into doing any mods to ur engine yet? Bikeman performance is working on an Stage 1 upgrade with the tuner and exhaust. I've been in contact with Barker's and thier exhaust is almost done as well.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 11:38 pm

Alba is also fixing to offer a flash, Only thing is I think they have to flash it, I don't think it comes with a programmer but I am not positive on that. I don't think I will mess with internals right now, may do cams later on.
Back to top Go down
LAGER570
Beginner
LAGER570

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyThu Jul 09, 2015 9:37 am

I did hear that as well. Fro. Some of the thing I heard and people are claiming, the 900 with some engine upgrades will be putting more rear wheel hp to the ground then then 1k. I don't even think the 1k is that impressive beside a little more pickup and top end then mine. The down side is the length and wiidth, for where I ride in PA it's all tight, rocky Trails. As soon as they figure out how to get a bigger engine or turbo a 60inch from the factory, then I'll consider getting one lol
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyThu Jul 09, 2015 6:14 pm

Yea the 1000 is two big for me as well, plus I have never been a big fan of the suspenion of the xp's. From what I am hearing you can convert the 900S to a 1000. Imagine the 1000 in the 900 chassis, I am hearing a few racers are running this setup.
Back to top Go down
LAGER570
Beginner
LAGER570

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 6:37 am

Yes that is true. Question, since you moved up to the 29inch dirt commanders, what's the weight difference btr them and the 27s? I'm def considering moving up to the 29's once I get the racertech spring.
Back to top Go down
oldmustangjunkie
Moderate Mudder
oldmustangjunkie

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 9:23 am

The 900S is great machine but it's no where near the machine the 1000XP is.  The 1K hill climbs, corners and crawls better than the 900S ever will for two basic reasons--the wheel base is long and the suspension travels further.  There may be a few situations where the 900S has the advantage but they are few and far between.  I ride with two guys, one with a 1k and another with a 900S.  The 1k always outdoes the 900S and rides smoother while doing so.  The 900S is a great machine for someone who previously had an 800/800S but if you come from a 900XP, you'll probably be disappointed.

I'm really EXCITED to see what Yamaha and Honda bring to the table in the near future. Obviously, Yamaha is gunning for the XP and Honda gave us a glimpse of what's going into a sport chassis with the Pioneer 1K.
Back to top Go down
LAGER570
Beginner
LAGER570

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 11:38 am

Well for the area I ride the 900s shines, more than the 1k. Made for desert not tight winding trails. I don't think Yamaha or Honda is going to have anything to compete with the polaris. The engine power maybe, but not the suspension and drivability.
Back to top Go down
oldmustangjunkie
Moderate Mudder
oldmustangjunkie

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 11:40 am

I have no idea how tight the trails are where you live (y'all got gates like BLM lands?) but here in TN, AL, and KY, the 1K is king of the mountain.
Back to top Go down
LAGER570
Beginner
LAGER570

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 11:46 am

Lol we have some nasty little trails. Alot of places like atv trails have a width restrictions so it sucks sometimes. The only places to even open them up is a long yuke road pretty much. I'm rdy to turbo mine but can't see myself spending 3500$ and up haha
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dirt commanders  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dirt commanders    Dirt commanders  Empty

Back to top Go down

Dirt commanders
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next