Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Which Brand Winch????

Go down 
+8
MattN03
Kyatvrider
Big Dog Daddy
Mud-and-Guts
Redrzrrider
RedRzr
oldmustangjunkie
Muddy Melvin
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Muddy Melvin
Lite Mudder

Which Brand Winch???? Empty
PostSubject: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 10:30 pm

I would like to have your suggestions on the size and brand winch for a XP 1000.

Tell me what you think.
Back to top Go down
oldmustangjunkie
Moderate Mudder
oldmustangjunkie

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 10:39 pm

Superwinch Terra 45
Back to top Go down
RedRzr
Heavy Mudder
RedRzr

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyTue May 13, 2014 10:45 pm

I have 2 vipers (4000lb) with rope and have not had any trouble.
Back to top Go down
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyWed May 14, 2014 7:55 am

The warn advantage 4000-s if mounting on a bumper. It's a wide spool winch and won't fit under the hood on a rzr. Warn advantage 3000-s or pro advantage 3500-s if mounting under the hood.
Back to top Go down
Muddy Melvin
Lite Mudder

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyWed May 14, 2014 8:13 am

oldmustangjunkie wrote:
Superwinch Terra 45

I have a Superwinch 3500 lb on my 800.  Haven't used it but 3 or 4 times but it hasn't failed me yet.  I didn't know what you more experienced fellows thought of the Superwinch brand. And is 3500 lb stout enough or should I go bigger.  I have a guy that is wanting to trade me a 3500 lb Warn winch for some seats.  What do ya think.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyWed May 14, 2014 9:09 pm

I have the KFI Stealth 4500 and have had no issues with it. No matter the winch you choose always remember Tip:

35. Use your winch! Even a water resistant winch that is on a bike but goes unused will collect moisture in the electric motor which will cause corrosion that will eventually cause the winch to fail. A simple way to remedy this is by putting the winch gearbox in the free spool position and then running the winch till the electric motor feels warm to the touch, the operation of the winch will help clean up any corrosion that has started to form and the heat will dry out the moisture increasing the life of the winch! The best time to do this is after clean up. Tip supplied by KFI Products!

Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
Big Dog Daddy
Extreme Mudder
Big Dog Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyWed May 14, 2014 9:29 pm

X2 on viper 4000
Back to top Go down
Kyatvrider
Lite Mudder
Kyatvrider

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyThu May 15, 2014 2:01 am

X3 on viper 4000
Back to top Go down
MattN03
Heavy Mudder
MattN03

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyThu May 15, 2014 12:43 pm

Warn ProVantage 4500-s on my T4 has pulled me up vertical ledges and rescued two RZR's, a 900 & 1000 with ease.
Back to top Go down
Bluedevil
Heavy Mudder
Bluedevil

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyThu May 15, 2014 5:33 pm

I guess I'm the only one with a Runva 4.5x. I can hang the rex like a deer carcuss.
Back to top Go down
Muddy Melvin
Lite Mudder

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyThu May 15, 2014 7:17 pm

Thanks Guys, looks like 4K to 4500 is the consensus. So I guess it's a no on the trade. I thought I would probably need to go bigger with an RZR. Oh well

Thanks again everybody
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptySat May 17, 2014 6:07 am

Mud-and-Guts wrote:
I have the KFI Stealth 4500 and have had no issues with it. No matter the winch you choose always remember Tip:

35. Use your winch! Even a water resistant winch that is on a bike but goes unused will collect moisture in the electric motor which will cause corrosion that will eventually cause the winch to fail. A simple way to remedy this is by putting the winch gearbox in the free spool position and then running the winch till the electric motor feels warm to the touch, the operation of the winch will help clean up any corrosion that has started to form and the heat will dry out the moisture increasing the life of the winch! The best time to do this is after clean up. Tip supplied by KFI Products!

GREAT IDEA!!
mine has a 5000 lb Warn
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptySat May 17, 2014 11:31 am

mudhound wrote:
Mud-and-Guts wrote:

GREAT IDEA!!  
mine has a 5000 lb Warn

Its a really simple idea but honestly I never thought about it. After speaking with Cory (who apparently thinks a little better than me) it made a lot of since. A winch motor is basically a starter motor but which one lasts longer? The starter motor is used frequently which disperses and drys out any water while the winch motor is used very little so the water just sits there and causing corrosion.
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
wvyankee2
Lite Mudder
wvyankee2

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyMon May 19, 2014 12:38 am

I've had nothing but these on my machines since 2006. Been in a lot of water and these are truly waterproof. Check out the O-Rings that seal it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3500LB-NEW-ATV-WINCH-2014-POLARIS-RZR-1000-RAZOR-3500-LB-RT-/291110525587?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43c78a1a93&vxp=mtr
Back to top Go down
jerrzr
Lite Mudder
jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyTue May 20, 2014 7:55 am

Havnt seen a single problem out of the viper winches. I've used the the hound out of mine with no problems. My home boyz run them too and I can tell you they ain't no hood ornaments for us. We use them about every ride- there is always somebody stuck
Back to top Go down
Muddy Melvin
Lite Mudder

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyTue May 20, 2014 8:02 am

Hey Jerrzr, what the jackets on the cable for.
Back to top Go down
jerrzr
Lite Mudder
jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? EmptyTue May 20, 2014 8:25 am

Muddy Melvin wrote:
Hey Jerrzr, what the jackets on the cable for.

Just a feeble attempt for a cable damper.

Lots of energy stored up in cables when winching - just anything to slow down or to stop things if the break. I've seen hooks fly through windshields before so its good to wrap them up when have hooked to another hook and cable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which Brand Winch????   Which Brand Winch???? Empty

Back to top Go down

Which Brand Winch????
Page 1 of 1