HomeRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month

Pickett important info! I got this email today.

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
MIKE_D
Moderate Mudder
MIKE_D

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 6:38 pm

Where is this alpine you speak of? Has it been mapped?
Back to top Go down
Big Dog Daddy
Extreme Mudder
Big Dog Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 6:51 pm

Alpine is nice for sure. In Livingston, tn.

2016 Alpine white Wolverine EPS

Kenwood 2-way radio w/frs frequencies
Super ATV half windshield tinted
Viper Max 4000 widespool winch
2" Super ATV lift
Pyle audio system
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 7:13 pm

not been mapped that I know of but it would be a good time to do it...

My ride: 2015 RZR S 900! Pearl Black

Tell all your good friends www.MAGOffroad.com Its where you want to be.. lol

https://www.youtube.com/mudandgutsoffroad

http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
Back to top Go down
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 8:08 pm

I'm interested in a Alpine ride this fall. Maybe TnDan will do a map of it.
Back to top Go down
MIKE_D
Moderate Mudder
MIKE_D

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:11 pm

Dan's maps "look" great. I only say look because I just bought a GPS and Dan's maps JUST FOR PICKETT:-banghead: 
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:41 pm

The question all of us must answer now, since we can no longer access Pickett, is do we become environmentally active and try and save one of the most unique geographical areas in the region. Or, just let it be stripped off and destroyed like so many other areas.

Strange bedfellows might be the MudandGuts Offroad Crew and Sierra Club. Audubon, and The Nature Conservancy.

2010 Yamaha Grizzly 700, Yamaha Skid Plates, Yamaha Front Brush Guard, Yamaha Fender Flares, Rock Sliders with Richochet Skid Plates, Moose Rear Bumper, Back Rest (Flea Market by Brimstone), Hand Guards, Warn Winch, 27" ITP Mudlites or 29.5 Outlwas with AMS Rims.

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700, Yamaha Skid Plates, Yamaha Front Brush Guard, Moose Rear Bumper, Rock Sliders with Richochet Skids, Moose Fender Flares, Hand Guards, Warn Winch, Rotopax twin 2 Gallon gas carrier, SS12 Stainless ITP Rims, 27" Bighorns
Back to top Go down
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 10:50 pm

It's sad to see a mature forest destroyed while they complain about erosion and soil compaction being the problem.
Back to top Go down
ky kodiak
Moderate Mudder
ky kodiak

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 11:28 pm

DrMud wrote:
The question all of us must answer now, since we can no longer access Pickett, is do we become environmentally active and try and save one of the most unique geographical areas in the region. Or, just let it be stripped off and destroyed like so many other areas.

Strange bedfellows might be the MudandGuts Offroad Crew and Sierra Club. Audubon, and The Nature Conservancy.
Mike, I know where you comming from, but I am affraid that even if any one of the above organizations could reverse what is about to be done, it would still not be in our (off road entusiust) favor. They would close it off to preserve it and if they were to let anyone back in there to appreciate or use the area..you would have to be barefoot and only step on certian rocks as not to destroy what they have been given the power to conserve/protect.Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 515891 
Back to top Go down
Bluedevil
Heavy Mudder
Bluedevil

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 11:46 pm

This just sucks! I've been going there since 2004. I really liked riding there. Well I guess I'll be riding in mud camp more now.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 12:08 am

Dale, yes it is usually that way.  I have been on this companies website,

http://www.forestlandgroup.com/intro.html

They have a long history of land managment with some of the conservation agencies that I have mentioned.  This company also has sold property back to various states. Overall they seem to have good environmental standards.  They say all of the right stuff, anyway....lol

As we all know, we still lose regardless at this point of who owns the property.  But I suspect that the Forest Land Group does not really know the unique charactersitics and all of the geographical rock formations that exist on this property.  I would encourage MudandGuts to offer to take his contact person on a tour of the unique landmarks of the property to see if this would warrant consideration of preservation through the various agencies of Kentucky or Private organizations.

2010 Yamaha Grizzly 700, Yamaha Skid Plates, Yamaha Front Brush Guard, Yamaha Fender Flares, Rock Sliders with Richochet Skid Plates, Moose Rear Bumper, Back Rest (Flea Market by Brimstone), Hand Guards, Warn Winch, 27" ITP Mudlites or 29.5 Outlwas with AMS Rims.

2009 Yamaha Grizzly 700, Yamaha Skid Plates, Yamaha Front Brush Guard, Moose Rear Bumper, Rock Sliders with Richochet Skids, Moose Fender Flares, Hand Guards, Warn Winch, Rotopax twin 2 Gallon gas carrier, SS12 Stainless ITP Rims, 27" Bighorns
Back to top Go down
ky kodiak
Moderate Mudder
ky kodiak

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:19 am

DrMud wrote:

They have a long history of land managment with some of the conservation agencies that I have mentioned.  This company also has sold property back to various states. Overall they seem to have good environmental standards.  They say all of the right stuff, anyway....lol

As we all know, we still lose regardless at this point of who owns the property.  But I suspect that the Forest Land Group does not really know the unique charactersitics and all of the geographical rock formations that exist on this property.  I would encourage MudandGuts to offer to take his contact person on a tour of the unique landmarks of the property to see if this would warrant consideration of preservation through the various agencies of Kentucky or Private organizations.
Considering we are in deep water & grasping for anything to keep us a float...I agree!!! I would be happy to make the trip and be on that tour, to try and give them some Ideal of what makes this area so unique. Pickett is a Gem!!
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:47 am

Mud-and-Guts wrote:
Got another e-mail guys and it isn't good. I hate to see this but I will respect there wishes.  However as you can read from the email they are watching this thread so keep up the reasons why leaving this area left open to us could benefit them!

"Neil,

I enjoyed getting to talk with you over the issue of the “Pickett Trails” so to speak and thank you for your cooperation and understanding with the concerns and issues I had brought to your attention previously. I wanted to let you know that I contacted TFG (managers for the property) and brought to their attention all that you and I had discussed with regards to the trail usage and the possibility of the accidental trespass onto their property. I have been visiting the discussions on the post you made on your forum to keep up with the ideas and discussion your members are having on the issue at hand, and I will say that many of the ideas brought up seem to be very valid with regards to you guys being able to keep the trails cleared and accessible, keeping an eye out for poaching, timber trespass, fires, drug activity, etc. I brought these to the attention of TFG that there may be benefits to them in leasing/waivers/etc. to a group of riders such as yourselves, and that you all seem to be a very respectful group of people just from our talk and from what I’ve heard/seen from the landowner and discussions on your forum.

Having said this, I’m afraid it’s still not going to be the news you wanted to hear but maybe somewhat expected as one person eluded to on your forum. After my discussions with the regional manager from The Forestland Group (TFG) and sharing all the information I could that I’ve been able to from you and the forum discussions, TFG is not interested at this point in time in pursuing leasing/waivers/etc. to permit recreational riding on the tract outside of hunting leases( which would not allow for joy-riding uses). Upon seeing the latest post on the forum where a member attached a link to a tax map, it has confirmed to me that the majority of the trails are in fact on TFG property. The tax map shows the outline of our tract to a “T” more or less (I’ve attached a map of the tract from our files for you to compare with). I’m sorry to have to be the one to share this with you, but TFG does want to pursue “shutting down” the tract to recreational riders such as you guys and will be implementing gates in areas, and I will make sure the property line is posted better if that is where one of the issues arises. This is all based on the concerns I discussed with you on the phone with liability, trail degradation, and the tract uses TFG pursues such as timber production and protection of natural resources such as soil and water quality. And I do realize we are performing timber harvest which are seen by some to be bad, but TFG is a large group that enforces proper and best management practices to ensure the harvesting performed has a minimal impact on the environment, and strives to promote healthier forests and land resources because they are under strict certification guidelines they must meet on all their properties.

With this, the parking at Sunnybrook will have to end and the trail use on Pickett will be done for now. We would like to maintain a good relationship with you guys though, seeing that you seem to be quite willing to respect the decisions made by TFG in regards to tract uses and will keep you in mind as an option if TFG decides to lease the property for trail uses. If you could, please begin to spread the word of this change in permissible riding areas to your fellow riders and other groups who may currently be using the Sunnybrook Parking and Pickett trails. Please feel free and I encourage you to post this email on your forum so members can read for themselves and help get the word out. If you have any questions or concerns with what I’ve said feel free to call me and I’d be happy to talk to you about it, and I’m also willing to still join you some weekend and show you where the property lines are if you feel it’s necessary.

Thanks again for your time, and sorry for the loss of what seemed to be a good recreational area for you and friends. If there are ever any changes, I will be sure to let you know.

Curt

Landmark Forestry LLC."

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 Chestn10
Curt, you have the job that we all want. I am going to attach some pics of the unique rock formations on this proporty under your stewardship, maybe others will add some more to help you understand the need to preserve this.

Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:50 am

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC01396-1

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC01395-1

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC01386

Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:53 am

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC01374

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC01390

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC01371

Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:55 am

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC01068

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC01069

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC01072

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC01067

Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:55 am

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC01064

Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:57 am

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC00332_zpsbb838367

Back to top Go down
MIKE_D
Moderate Mudder
MIKE_D

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 8:58 am

I can only enjoy these sites through pictures now. So sad. I only got to ride it once.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 9:01 am

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC00780

Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 DSC00783

Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 9:06 am

With all of my travels, I have seen losing places to ride whether private tracts or state and federal occur repeatedly. The challenge we now face is do we walk away and let this be stripped off, then the mountain sides blowed off to get the coal, or do we try and have this unique piece of property preserved and possibly added to Picket State Park, which is complicated because that is in TN and this property is in KY.

Back to top Go down
CNC_guy
Lite Mudder
CNC_guy

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 9:13 am

I've ridden this area since the late 80's. I used to come home from school and jump on my dirt bike and ride until after dark. The Koger's owned the land at that time and encouraged folks to enjoy it. My grandfather used to sit and tell stories about all the characters of the area and things that happened at table rock and who did what at carpenter's rock house and how John Brown used to preach on the "preaching ground". My roots are here and my love for the area runs deep. I have always looked forward to the day that I could load up my two boys, park at mom and dad's, and ride all day showing them the beauty of where their ancestors were born and raised

I had suspected since talking with Wayne Lumber's rep after the sale of the area that it was only a matter of time until it was shut down. That still didn't prepare me for reading this thread yesterday. I wish that the Forestland Group would talk to the folks at Coal Creek. I think a setup like that is the only thing that would work in this situation for riding to continue. It could be wonderful for both riders and owners and even for Wayne County.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 9:13 am

There are numerous waterfalls on the properties.  i will look for some pics.

Edit: Can't find any, maybe some others will add pics.

Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 9:56 am

ky kodiak wrote:
DrMud wrote:

Considering we are in deep water & grasping for anything to keep us a float...I agree!!!  I would be happy to make the trip and be on that tour, to try and give them some Ideal of what makes this area so unique.  Pickett is a Gem!!
I am all for it guys! Curt and I spoke of doing a boundary ride in a few weeks to find the property lines and that would be a perfect time to show some of the beauty that Pickett has to offer and inform him of just what they are trying to take away for our kids and grandchildren. He had plans of riding all this on an atv by himself and I told him I did not advise that because it is to dangerous riding by ones self on an atv and I told him that I would be glad to go with him and give him a ride in the RZR for that matter to make it a safer and more enjoyable trip. How many calm headed people do we have who would like to go and help try to convince him?

Curt I know you are watching this thread so you can post here or email me, would you be interested in letting this crew show you what all Pickett has to offer our children? and grandchildren?

My ride: 2015 RZR S 900! Pearl Black

Tell all your good friends www.MAGOffroad.com Its where you want to be.. lol

https://www.youtube.com/mudandgutsoffroad

Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 10:14 am

I am in, and I undestand that this is Curts job, and basically becomes a business decisions for his employers.  I am also a respector of property, and if asked will not knowingly tresspas.

Back to top Go down
Big Dog Daddy
Extreme Mudder
Big Dog Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2013 10:22 am

I'm in. All that are in must keep in mind the purpose this ride. We must keep are thoughts in check.
This could open a new chapter for Pickett or close the book.

2016 Alpine white Wolverine EPS

Kenwood 2-way radio w/frs frequencies
Super ATV half windshield tinted
Viper Max 4000 widespool winch
2" Super ATV lift
Pyle audio system
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pickett important info! I got this email today.   Pickett important info! I got this email today. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Pickett important info! I got this email today.
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next