Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

GPS Type

Go down 
+5
Bluedevil
MattN03
Muddy Melvin
DrMud
Redrzrrider
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyThu Aug 15, 2013 9:52 pm

What kind of GPS are y'all using and how do you have it mounted?
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyFri Aug 16, 2013 7:07 am

I am using a Garmin Oregon 550t. Cabellas had thes on sale for $300 awhile back. Google RAM mount and see if that gets you the correct web page for mounting options, endless choices.
Back to top Go down
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyMon Aug 26, 2013 2:08 pm

Cabelas has good prices on gamin GPS's right now.
Back to top Go down
Muddy Melvin
Lite Mudder

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 8:15 am

I use a Garmin 60Csx, it gets a little confused some time can't figure out what the problem is, but it only last a few minutes then it will correct itself and all is well. Spoke to Dan about it and he said he had one that done the same thing and he couldn't figure his out either. If you ride any at Windrock, Royal Blue, any of TWRA, or Brimestone you should get Dan's maps if you don't have them. They have save me many a time. He has a Google Earth version that you can download for free and you can see what he has.

P.S. Do any of the other Garmins have a problem getting confused like mine does, it gets like it can't figure out what direction it is pointed, this is my first GPS and I just wondered if all of them did this at times or if this was just my unit or just this model. And does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix the problem.
Back to top Go down
MattN03
Heavy Mudder
MattN03

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyWed Aug 28, 2013 12:31 pm

Garmin Oregon 450t and a Ram mount specifically for it.
Back to top Go down
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyThu Aug 29, 2013 8:41 am

Thanks for the feedback. I ended up getting a Garmin 450 from Cabelas for $160 after tax and a $20 coupon I got in the mail. I didn't get the t model since Dan said his maps come with a topo map.
Back to top Go down
Bluedevil
Heavy Mudder
Bluedevil

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 11:06 pm

Just bought a oregon 450t from cabela's also. Now to start mapping mud camp and portland.
Back to top Go down
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 11:15 pm

Can't beat the price at cabelas right now. Where is mud camp and Portland?
Back to top Go down
Bluedevil
Heavy Mudder
Bluedevil

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 11:23 pm

Mudcamp is in Metcalfe,Monroe, and cumberland. Portland is in adair. it's also called exie and pickett's chapel.
Back to top Go down
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 11:28 pm

Sounds like a lot of riding.
Back to top Go down
Bluedevil
Heavy Mudder
Bluedevil

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyFri Aug 30, 2013 11:32 pm

There are a few more places to ride around here also. Mostly just One day riding, there still fun with the right bunch.
Back to top Go down
TnDan
Lite Mudder
TnDan

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 8:52 pm

Muddy Melvin wrote:
I use a Garmin 60Csx, it gets a little confused some time can't figure out what the problem is, but it only last a few minutes then it will correct itself and all is well. Spoke to Dan about it and he said he had one that done the same thing and he couldn't figure his out either.  If you ride any at Windrock, Royal Blue, any of TWRA, or Brimestone you should get Dan's maps if you don't have them. They have save me many a time. He has a Google Earth version that you can download for free and you can see what he has.

P.S. Do any of the other Garmins have a problem getting confused like mine does, it gets like it can't figure out what direction it is pointed, this is my first GPS and I just wondered if all of them did this at times or if this was just my unit or just this model.  And does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix the problem.
Melvin, I think I know now what causes that... the microSD card door becomes unlatched and everything gets confused when the card unseats with poor electrical connections. This also happens on my Montana. Just relatch the door, and start it back up.

Back to top Go down
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyFri Sep 06, 2013 11:51 pm

I finally got my GPS yesterday and can see where the sd card door could come loose while riding. I'll be ordering your maps soon Dan.
Back to top Go down
Muddy Melvin
Lite Mudder

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 5:26 am

TnDan wrote:
Muddy Melvin wrote:
I use a Garmin 60Csx, it gets a little confused some time can't figure out what the problem is, but it only last a few minutes then it will correct itself and all is well. Spoke to Dan about it and he said he had one that done the same thing and he couldn't figure his out either.  If you ride any at Windrock, Royal Blue, any of TWRA, or Brimestone you should get Dan's maps if you don't have them. They have save me many a time. He has a Google Earth version that you can download for free and you can see what he has.

P.S. Do any of the other Garmins have a problem getting confused like mine does, it gets like it can't figure out what direction it is pointed, this is my first GPS and I just wondered if all of them did this at times or if this was just my unit or just this model.  And does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix the problem.
Melvin, I think I know now what causes that... the microSD card door becomes unlatched and everything gets confused when the card unseats with poor electrical connections. This also happens on my Montana. Just relatch the door, and start it back up.

Thanks Dan I'll give it a try
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptySat Sep 07, 2013 6:41 am

Brain power. I currently do not have a GPS. I ride with some and they appear to be handy. However, after going 15 plus years without one. I might just keep putting it off.
Back to top Go down
MattN03
Heavy Mudder
MattN03

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 10:40 am

You always ride the same place Gary! lol
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 2:27 pm

True, I do a lot of riding in Bell Co. But, there are at least 9-10 different areas in that county.
Back to top Go down
MattN03
Heavy Mudder
MattN03

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptySun Sep 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Just teasing Gary, your built in GPS is awesome, no joke! Smile
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyMon Sep 09, 2013 6:34 am

Thanks! I am very blessed indeed!!
Back to top Go down
Mudcon
Lite Mudder
Mudcon

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 9:23 am

Muddy Melvin wrote:

My 60csx does too and my buddies does too. we just learned to live with it. I now run a montana 650t.
Back to top Go down
Muddy Melvin
Lite Mudder

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyWed Sep 25, 2013 5:40 pm

Must be that model that has the problem. Does the Montana do ok I was thinking of upgrading. This is pretty confusing when you need direction and you look down and can't tell if you're coming or going or if you are upside down:scratch: 
Back to top Go down
Sponge
Moderate Mudder
Sponge

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type EmptyThu Sep 26, 2013 12:56 pm

I now have the montana 650t and used it locally & in Utah. It is wonderful & very easy to use. Touch screen and no buttons. It works with gloves on too. I am looking to sell my Garmin 60csx. I have had it over 2 years and never experienced the problems you mentioned earlier. I also have a Colorado model available. Maker me an offer I can't refuse!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

GPS Type Empty
PostSubject: Re: GPS Type   GPS Type Empty

Back to top Go down

GPS Type
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mud and Guts Offroad Forum :: General Discussion :: General Discussion-
Jump to: