Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???

Go down 
+7
Bluedevil
Mud-and-Guts
Sponge
Big Dog Daddy
mudhound
t4fireman
johnson1975
11 posters
AuthorMessage
johnson1975
Lite Mudder
johnson1975

group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? Empty
PostSubject: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 10:14 am

what does everyone think about making a group effort to add some trail markers at pickett? Maybe in the fall ? Maybe different people would agree to give there time and efforts to do this? How many signs would we need? I would agree to make 'x#' of signs to be posted and I am sure others would do the same....

Is this even a option? What is everyones thoughts?
Back to top Go down
t4fireman
Lite Mudder
t4fireman

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptySat Jun 29, 2013 10:34 am

I would be in for it I have only been there twice but like riding there but spend more time on figuring my way out than getting to ride.
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 7:41 am

never been there. Sounds like a good idea.
Back to top Go down
Big Dog Daddy
Extreme Mudder
Big Dog Daddy

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 10:19 am

Great idea. Get Redrzr involved. He knows the trails very well. Count me in. At the same time bring trash bags to make it a cleanup day also. Love riding there and it pisses me off when people leave their trash along the trails.
Back to top Go down
Sponge
Moderate Mudder
Sponge

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 10:29 am

I would be in on this also. We should do a little litter pick up every ride. The thought of putting up trail markers is good but they always seem to be taken down by the gremlins. At WR it is a constant problem. The 2 main litter areas are carpenters rock and the mineral pond. The Pall Mall overlook gets bad from time to time also. When ever people camp at these areas is when it is at the worst.
Back to top Go down
johnson1975
Lite Mudder
johnson1975

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 11:02 am

This may sound silly-would it be a good idea to bring a ladder and put the trail markers up high and out of reach?
Back to top Go down
Big Dog Daddy
Extreme Mudder
Big Dog Daddy

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 11:15 am

I had the same thought, but they have to be at a level to be easily visible while riding.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptySun Jun 30, 2013 10:33 pm

I am game as long as I know well in advance!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
Bluedevil
Heavy Mudder
Bluedevil

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 12:07 am

I'm in. what are we going to make the markers out of? something reflective?
Back to top Go down
CNC_guy
Lite Mudder
CNC_guy

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:11 am

I don't believe this is a good idea as far as the Kentucky side goes.  When I spoke with Wayne Lumber when they owned the land, the trail markers was one of the things that was brought up that they didn't care for.  They didn't appreciate someone coming in on their land and marking trails without their permission.  He was very adamant about this and even went as far as to go to a local Polaris dealer and confiscate the free maps they had been giving out and he said they themselves had removed some markers.

My guess is that the new owners probably won't feel much different and may even take a little harder stance on this.  As it is right now, it seems that the area is about the same as it always has been which is basically, "you don't have permission to ride on our property but we are never there to enforce this.  Read between the lines."  I only saw one small sign yesterday and we covered about 50 miles.

I say don't do ANYTHING that could bring attention and let sleeping dogs lie.  I would be devastated if this area was ever shut down.  And it was made clear to me by people in the know that contrary to popular opinion, the new owners have the means to shut it down and protect their investment.
Back to top Go down
CNC_guy
Lite Mudder
CNC_guy

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 9:15 am

As far as a clean up day, my buddies and I would be all in. We all commented yesterday that there was less trash than usual. We wondered if maybe someone had done a clean up day recently.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 11:28 am

I hate to say this, but more access for all could mean no access for all. Maybe a trail clean up, and leave the signage alone, even snipping some bushes back with some hand clippers might go along way as we ride through.
Back to top Go down
Sponge
Moderate Mudder
Sponge

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptyMon Jul 01, 2013 11:33 am

I agree with CNC guy. I have put signs up standing on the roof of my razor and they still removed them. My feelings are out of sight out of mind. LOW profile works for me. Coming from NJ I can tell you 1st hand about losing riding areas. Doing a little clean up on each ride makes it easy to do & get rid of the trash. I also like the rules on the 1st tread.
Back to top Go down
cole795
Beginner
cole795

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptyTue Jul 02, 2013 6:51 pm

I would be in for a clean up day if I am off work and able. Last time I was there I hit a glass bottle and busted it luckly it didnt get a tire.
Back to top Go down
johnson1975
Lite Mudder
johnson1975

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 12:12 am

Sounds goods....sounds like this has transitioned into a trail clean up which is a great idea. Would there be more than 1group so that more area can be cleaned?
Back to top Go down
MattN03
Heavy Mudder
MattN03

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptyThu Jul 04, 2013 5:59 pm

I'd try to come for a trail cleanup too with enough notice
Back to top Go down
Big Dog Daddy
Extreme Mudder
Big Dog Daddy

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 5:55 pm

More thoughts.
I want to be as part of this ,but can only do a Sunday ride.

Thought # 1: I think the original post was because some of us do not know the trails all that well. ( self included ). With a good guide ( Redrzr, Sponge, just to name a couple ) we can stop on major trails/intersections and take pictures and/or mark GPS coordinates on our phones or Gps units. This might accomplish initial reason for doing this ride.

Thought #2: after I saw original post I suggested a combination cleanup ride. I think this is what it has become. Great !!!!!.

Thought # 3: we all love riding here. It has great trails, great scenery, and a safe place to park is provided by new owners of Hancock Grocery. Lets show our appreciation by paying our $5 parking fee that day and also take up a collection $5, $10, $20 whatever you like. Put it in a card. Sign and either present it or drop in box for the owners. This might go a long way. Also if there is anything we can do there at the parking area as far as cleanup, weed eating .etc. let's do that as well.

Just my thoughts.
Back to top Go down
Sponge
Moderate Mudder
Sponge

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 11:00 pm

I like this last idea. Kevin & Melissa are great people and having the parking is something we should treasure for sure. From what I have seen on this thread we need to set a date & time. Lets do it. My riding schedule is pretty full for the next 2 mths. Throw out some dates and lets see what sticks. I still have the pictures and gps coordinates for the various destinations.
Back to top Go down
johnson1975
Lite Mudder
johnson1975

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 4:08 pm

Can I suggest maybe in the fall when the leaves are gone - the trash may be more visible without all the leaves plus the snakes and other critters will not be an issue either - Thoughts?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???   group effort to add trail markers at Pickett??? Empty

Back to top Go down

group effort to add trail markers at Pickett???
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mud and Guts Offroad Forum :: General Discussion :: Ride Planning-
Jump to: