Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

RZR Fire Last Night

Go down 
+7
Bluedevil
MattN03
dino
Big Dog Daddy
ky kodiak
Mud-and-Guts
DrMud
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 11:01 pm

DrMud wrote:
I have some oil blown out of mine, visible in the pics so positive pressure or a vacum is occuring, not a lot of oil but some. Take mine back aprat and rev the motor up and see what that slit is doing, just can't get over how stupid of a design this is to fix whatever problem they are working around.

It looks to me like they plan on this giving issues so they can collect money on a rebuild... If I am thinking right this could be an easy fix that should be done from the factory. I am willing to bet when you rev the engine you will find a vacuum coming from the airbox.. I may have mine a part this weekend...
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 11:03 pm

bluedevil wrote:
Mud-and-Guts wrote:
DrMud wrote:
Suppose to be positive pressure blowing to the airbox. The RZR forum guys says the tip ices with condensation at the airbox. My issue is, just real easy to fall in a hole and drop this under water and pump the airbox full of water, and possibly back in the motor, I am going to figure out how to raise mine.

I am debating on snorkling mine completely anyway. Dont like worrying about how deep a mudhole is.

I'm not understanding that, because I know the engine has to draw a lot of air at wide open throttle and no crankcase should build that much pressure alone. I could understand a little positive pressure if it was not going to the air box but there is no way the engine is pushing as much air as the sealed air box is drawing. I think a vent filter on the valve and plugging the airbox hole is the way to go or to T it and install a filter and leave it attached so the engine can vent through the filter but I am not sure because I haven't had it a part yet... Whats your thoughts on this?

the motor should not build hardly any pressure in the crank case. if it were to build a lot off pressure it would be from blowby meaning that your loosing compression from the combustion chamber and its getting into the case from around the rings. which means that the motor is all ready hurt. I have never seen water condensate in the air box. Have you ever found moisture in the air box before? have you started the motor to see how much pressure is coming from the hose?

I bet your T-rex does not have a slit in it? I agree with you bro..
Back to top Go down
Bluedevil
Heavy Mudder
Bluedevil

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 11:10 pm

no they are all solid hoses. but i guess they could crack in time. or dry rot.
the t4's do have a fuel inlet vent that lets junk into the tank. but it was moved and i put a little in line fuel filter on it to prevent a pump failure.
Back to top Go down
Big Dog Daddy
Extreme Mudder
Big Dog Daddy

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 11:33 pm

Guys I've been following this post and I might be wrong but I think rhinos are doing the same thing that is putting oil into the air box at high rpm. This after JBS sheave and cdi mod. JBS has kit that sounds somewhat like your proposed fix. Is anyone familiar with this ? Or am I thinking about something totally different ?
Back to top Go down
Bluedevil
Heavy Mudder
Bluedevil

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyTue Jan 22, 2013 11:43 pm

yes there are many of the side by sides that have this problem. I dont know why but many of them are due to a bad location of the crank case breather hoses. some of them are actually under the oil line coming out of the crank case. so when the motor is at high rpm for long periods of time it will push oil up into the air box. a lot of the teryx's run a catch can to keep the oil from being pushed in to the air box and burnt. many people have destroyed there motors from this.
Back to top Go down
MattN03
Heavy Mudder
MattN03

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 1:44 pm

bluedevil wrote:
no they are all solid hoses. but i guess they could crack in time. or dry rot.
the t4's do have a fuel inlet vent that lets junk into the tank. but it was moved and i put a little in line fuel filter on it to prevent a pump failure.

I did the same thing before mine went onto the first trail. I moved the vent line up under the cowl where the large inlet duct is. No issues so far.

Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:24 pm

I think for now I may just take an old foam filter and wrap the slit then put a few sip ties on each side.. This should not effect the purpose of the slit and should protect it from getting any trash in it.. I will pull it apart this weekend and see when I install the lift..
Back to top Go down
Bluedevil
Heavy Mudder
Bluedevil

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 7:34 pm

just a thought but what if you just move the fitting around to the side of the air box and plug the on on top? then you could use a solid hose for the vent.
Back to top Go down
dino
Moderate Mudder
dino

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 9:14 pm

I looked mine over and it does not have a slit in it. I can't believe is should have an opening to let outside air into the air box.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 10:13 pm

dino wrote:
I looked mine over and it does not have a slit in it. I can't believe is should have an opening to let outside air into the air box.

Thanks bro, they must have fixed this issue on the XP's...
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 10:41 pm

Mud-and-Guts wrote:
I think for now I may just take an old foam filter and wrap the slit then put a few sip ties on each side.. This should not effect the purpose of the slit and should protect it from getting any trash in it.. I will pull it apart this weekend and see when I install the lift..

A lift? almost miss this, you can crank the shocks up and gain an inch or so real easy. How much are you going with?
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 10:54 pm

DrMud wrote:
Mud-and-Guts wrote:

A lift? almost miss this, you can crank the shocks up and gain an inch or so real easy. How much are you going with?

Racertech 2 inch lift, not really looking for the lift as much as the moving of the shocks for a more stable ride. I am going to remove the rear sway bar to let the independent suspension work..
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 10:59 pm

This one Dr.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 1:27 am

Redrzr had a brand new lift for sale, not sure if any difference for a 800 vs 800 S lift.

I pm'd a smart peron on rzr forum, he changed his split to a solid line hose with vent on the end, that is my poject for friday, an finish my back up light and install my oem toot toot.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 24, 2013 8:34 am

DrMud wrote:
Redrzr had a brand new lift for sale, not sure if any difference for a 800 vs 800 S lift.

I pm'd a smart peron on rzr forum, he changed his split to a solid line hose with vent on the end, that is my poject for friday, an finish my back up light and install my oem toot toot.

I think he sold that a while back, and I think the RZR and the RZR S use different lifts. Let me know what you find, I know a little vacuum is good drawing pressure from the engine but to much could draw out oil so I am curious as to what is found.
Back to top Go down
projectrazr
Beginner
projectrazr

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 12:37 am

I'm curious to I just bought a 2013 and I just heard bout the slit I'm curious bout it to so let me knw bcuz I don't nothing to happen
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 2:53 am

projectrazr wrote:
I'm curious to I just bought a 2013 and I just heard bout the slit I'm curious bout it to so let me knw bcuz I don't nothing to happen

Pump your dealar for info, see if you can find out why it is there.
Back to top Go down
projectrazr
Beginner
projectrazr

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 9:51 am

K I will be doing that Monday and see what I can find out and I'll let you guys knw what they say
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 10:59 pm

Made a video of this split hose in action going down the road, best I can tell seemed ok, IP is to slow to load will do later tonight and post.

But, looked in the hose and there is this big oily sand bugger ready to drop out of the hose down into the motor. I could not get a pic of it in the hose so scraped it out with a screw driver.

RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 DSC01518

Six hundred miles on machine, anybody else ever look inside there split crank case breather hose?
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 11:08 pm

Called the dealer, told them pretty nervous about this, (Actually, I told them I am so nervous that I am about to wet myself) and don't want to do anything to void the 5 year warranty.

The Plan Coordinated with the dealership:

Dragon Fire Racing Waterproof breather system, about 500 bucks, full snorkles another couple hundred, couple hundred in labor, and the dealer will design a better hose filter deal without a slit in it. Will proceed when the funds are available. As for now, I am running stock slit crankcse breather hose. I have documented my concerns on two forums, will let the five year warranty pick up the pieces. CHeers.
Back to top Go down
projectrazr
Beginner
projectrazr

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 11:39 pm

So what did they say to do
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 11:46 pm

I wonder if a large fuel filter or the engine side of the slit would effect anything? it would keep any trash from falling back towards the engine plus let the slit be there and breath like intended... I think I am still going to wrap mine with foam filter and call it good for now...

Did they say the Dragon fire setup would not void the warranty?
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 26, 2013 11:58 pm

I would coordinate any changes with your dealer and involve them in the purchases minimally, maybe even the install...They said this would not void my warranty because that is my primary concern.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 12:01 am

My only concern about the wrap is this will end up like an oily wrag over a hot motor after awhile. Just encourage others to talk to their dealers and se what they say. The dealers may be limited to what Corporate offers for a solution.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 27, 2013 2:22 pm

After sleeping on this, I woke up with a clear prognosis. I just finished what Frank on rzr forum told me to do in a PM. He has like 20,000 miles on his motor. Put the filter in the first intake airbox like the link I attached a while back, UMP style. Could not bring myself to ride this with oilsand buggers falling inside the motor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RZR Fire Last Night   RZR Fire Last Night - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

RZR Fire Last Night
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mud and Guts Offroad Forum :: General Discussion :: General Discussion-
Jump to: