Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

All ways look up!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

All ways look up! Empty
PostSubject: All ways look up!   All ways look up! EmptyTue Jul 10, 2012 10:37 pm

We got 4kv (4000 Volts) in Nashville that will not kick out at the sub, it will lay on the ground and burn. Our 13.8kv and 23.9kv will generally kick out but not always so if you ever see a line in the air or on the ground "Do NOT Touch it".

Most likely the man on this truck was not hurt because on the truck he is the same potential and would become energized like a bird on the wire but if he stepped off the truck before the line kicked out he would be toast!

All ways look up! 531690_451102948246810_1731313615_n
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
CNC_guy
Lite Mudder
CNC_guy

All ways look up! Empty
PostSubject: Re: All ways look up!   All ways look up! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 7:47 am

I have two uncles that worked power lines and man they have some stories. They had me afraid of an unplugged extension cord until I was in my twenties. (not hardly but almost)

Last edited by CNC_guy on Wed Jul 11, 2012 7:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

All ways look up! Empty
PostSubject: Re: All ways look up!   All ways look up! EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 7:48 am

Neil, good information. Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

All ways look up! Empty
PostSubject: Re: All ways look up!   All ways look up! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 6:28 am

they looked like they were having a bad day
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

All ways look up! Empty
PostSubject: Re: All ways look up!   All ways look up! EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 11:03 pm

The biggest flame I have seen would have swallowed that truck! In Ohio last year at about 9pm (good and Dark) after changing a transformer our lead lineman was in a bucket and closed in a cut-out (fused switch) when it exploded and the flame would have swallowed that fire truck!!! All because a house service was bad..

I seen 4kv (4000 volts) lay on the ground and burn, it was burning the grass but never blowed a fuse. The people in the house powered by the pole where it was still attached was watching tv with the line on the ground hot..

I had never been afraid of electricity but after working with high voltage I have a very high respect for electricity..

Food for thought 1/3 of one amp can kill a person, the average house hold light bulb draws one amp!

Never assume a line is dead just because it is on the ground!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
Sponsored content

All ways look up! Empty
PostSubject: Re: All ways look up!   All ways look up! Empty

Back to top Go down

All ways look up!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mud and Guts Offroad Forum :: General Discussion :: Off Topic/Humor-
Jump to: