Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! Empty
PostSubject: Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)!   Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 10:00 pm

Here's a few photos..

Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! Img_8110

Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! Img_8111

Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! Img_8112
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
spud
Moderate Mudder

PostSubject: Re: Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)!   Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 7:47 am

Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! 634495
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Lite Mudder
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)!   Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! EmptySat Jun 09, 2012 9:38 am

cant wait to see it run...soon as its together i will send you my air/fuel gauge!
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)!   Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 9:26 am

WV Hot Rod Rhino wrote:
cant wait to see it run...soon as its together i will send you my air/fuel gauge!

Don't worry about sending the gauge just yet brother it maybe a few weeks before I do any tuning.

Got out yesterday and found my valve spring compressor would not work (I knew it would be close if it did) so I didn't get to assemble the head. I did pull the carb apart and clean it up once it was cleaned up good I took my dyno jet needle out of my old carb, cleaned it good, and installed it in the modified carb. I found a 122.5 jet in the 07 carb with didn't seem right because stock my 08 had a 133.5, I went a head and placed a 134 main in the modified carb to give me a starting point. I drilled and removed the plug that enclosed the mixture screw and found the mixture screw to be set about 1/8 a turn out if that, it was basically closed. I took it for a test run and off the line it seems to have a slight hesitation but then it opens up and feels like it excellerates a better, seems to top out faster. I got to do some tuning on the carb to get it dialed in before I can say how much it helped.

It maybe a few days before I can do any more tuning, after changing the carb, shiming the clutch, and changing the weights I decided to give it a hill climb test, I hit a little hill I had hit a couple hundred times and about half way up I heard a pop and the bike shot to the left.. Broke the left rear axle, locked it in diff lock and think I about stripped something in the front diff it popped a few times and the driver side wheel would stop pulling. So I pulled out the winch and winched about 250ft up the steep hill, the contactor was getting hot by the time I hit the top and sometimes it would take a couple hits of the button to get it to engage but it still worked. This is the first time I have been in a position like this but this is the reason I run a winch, it was a life saver.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)!   Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:01 pm

Installed the carb a while back because I wanted to try it before the head change and it is doing great... I got out today and assembled the head with a webcam high torque cam, springs, and titanium retainers.. waiting on a few more gaskets then I can swap heads and hammer down Smile
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Lite Mudder
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)!   Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 10:57 pm

Got a couple boxes this evening .... hopefully your gaskets are in there.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)!   Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! EmptySat Jul 28, 2012 1:13 am

WV Hot Rod Rhino wrote:
Got a couple boxes this evening .... hopefully your gaskets are in there.

Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! 169520
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)!   Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 10:59 pm

Got out today and installed the ported head along with a webcams torque cam... Runs a LOT better so far but I got a lot of tuning to do to get it right...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)!   Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)! Empty

Back to top Go down

Got My 450 Head and carb Back from James (JBS)!
Page 1 of 1