Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Tires

Go down 
+4
Moto92
RIDERED
spud
Mud-and-Guts
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Tires   Tires EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 12:35 pm

what do you have? and how do you like them? As much detail as possible is appreciated..

I have ran

The stock tires: which I thought were way to soft a compound(punctured easily wore quickly) and to undersized (my stock 25's measured 24.25").

26" Terracrosses:
Pro's: Worked great and bit hard in hard pack and on the rocks another plus was they measured a little larger at 26.25".

Con's: was to soft a compound (although better than stock) making them easily punctured on rough trails, the soft compound also offered to much flex at high speed driving causing an unstable feel.. With the tight tread design they are not idea for Mud.

26" Moto Grips:
Pros: Bit hard on the hard pack and rode smooth. A little stiffer side wall for better handling and durability.

Con's: Measured undersize at 25.5". Fills up pretty quickly in the mud..

26" Grim Reapers:
Pro's: The 8ply design offers a stiff sidewall for great handling and puncture resistance the rubber compound offers for a good wearing tire. they measure oversize at 26.25". These tires are all around tires that work great in numerous conditions..

Con's:
No big cons but the stiff sidewall allows for a stiffer ride(which could be considered a pro)..
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
spud
Moderate Mudder

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 8:59 pm

i agree 100 % on the terracrosses mine were wearing really fast and at 35 mph it felt like the front tires were flat they had so much give to them.they would cake up bad in deep mud.the bighorns seem to be alot better tire for my style of riding.
Back to top Go down
RIDERED
Over the Top Mudder
RIDERED

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 10:44 pm

I bought and ran a set of AMX Swampfox's on a rancher , I bought them at 1800 miles on my fourwheeler then sold it later with 3700 miles on it and they were not even half tread... I saw them the other day and the odo was at 4500 and they are at half tread now .... They were a great set of tires all they way around and they were abused :twisted: The last couple sets of tires have been radials (on the rincon)that I had ran (stock takeoffs off of a Sportsman I think) and they seemed to wear fast not good in mud but they rode great ....but I do ride on roads alot . :suspect:
Back to top Go down
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 2:11 am

had 26" duro powergrips. they rode excellent on road and trails. hooked up in all conditions unless you got in some real think mud, they arent outlaws. only problems i had with them is a couple sidewall punctures that were all fixed with plugs.

currently running 27" itp xtrs. you can definately feel the larger lugs of these tires. on the roads the steering wheel shakes back and fourth a little. on trails you dont notice it. these tires have traction everywhere. they are hooking up in deep mud holes and sandy creek bottoms. these tires i have filled with the highlifter pro sealant. im very pleasd with these so far
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 10:14 am

I haven't tried the XTRs on my rhino but they did great on the grizzly.. Everyone called the griz a tank because it was only stuck one or twice the whole time I had it(had 27 XTRs on it when it left the show room)....
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
smith700
Lite Mudder
smith700

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Had the stockers.....pitiful.....they were Tires 993135 by any type of terrain almost.
Quickly put 25" Duro Power Grip's on the stock rims......great tires,hooked up in everything except deep mud.....but I tore the sidewall out of them on trail 39 :twisted: :twisted:
I came on a set of 26" Maxxis Bighorns with 12" ITP SS112 Rims for sale with 1 ride on them for 475$.........
My opinion, the Bighorns are the best all around tire unless you like mud. If you like mud I would get the XTR's now that they have a rim guard.
Back to top Go down
RLCMOTORSPORTS
Moderate Mudder
RLCMOTORSPORTS

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires EmptyTue Oct 26, 2010 7:27 pm

Of course as we all know stock tires are and were junk to me. Didn't last 100 miles before they were destroyed and replaced.

Replaced with black and machined 14" itp type c wheels wider off set in rear and 27x9x14/27x11x14 itp mud lite xtr's. The xtr's are ok for trail riding, but great for just mud bogging. They are bad to slip on rocks and climbs instead of grabbing. I guess the tread design doesn't allow it to do anything other than shovel mud out of its way. Had a few times where the back end has kicked out on my on a rock climb because they just couldn't stick and dig on the rocks. Plus the sidewalls haven't held up well at all. Have had to plug the front tires in a few spots. They are for sale if anyone is looking for some they only have 500 miles on them selling wheels and tires.

New set (should be here thurs 10/28) is 14" itp ss108 flat black wheels wider rear off set with 26x9x14/26x11x14 gbc grim reapers. Hoping they will handle the trails I prefer to ride better. Like the fact they are 8 ply (xtr I believe is 6 ply) and that they have a beefy rim guard. I am more of a rock crawling enthusiasts then sand or long mud pulls. Of course I ride fairly quick speeds and hit mud holes only slowing down for them if I get stuck and have to go to 4 wheel drive. So I'm hoping the grim reapers will stick better and handle my ride style better. I have heard good things about them way more good then bad and like what I have heard. But until this weekend I won't be able to post a review on them since I don't have them right at this moment. Will report back in a few days.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rlcmotorsports.com
imbill
Extreme Mudder
imbill

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 12:16 am

replaced the stock tires on thundercat with Gators 26x10x12 front and 26x12x12 on rear !! Have done every thing i have asked of them just dont be behind me the small stones and rocks that come off them are bad !!! Also my decision was sort of made for me i found a tire dealer that had them for 40 bucks each i had to drive 70 miles to get them but it was worth it freight would have been 20 bucks a tire !!!
Back to top Go down
dcfox
Moderate Mudder
dcfox

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 1:50 am

OK...first on the Rhino...

When I bought it it had ITP type 5 wheels with the wrong rear offset(too wide),and 28x10x12 Swamp Witch tires(same as an Outlaw MST).
These were very good tires.They rode well for a mud tire,and did surprisingly well in the mud.
However...the rear wheel offset drove me nuts.
So...it just so happened that my Dad's Foreman also had the wrong offset rear wheels for his bike(but right for mine),so we swapped.

These were ITP Type 4's with 28x10x12 and 28x12x12 GBC Gators.
The Gators run extremely short.They ride decent,but weren't nearly as good in the mud as the Swamp Witches.

I then picked up a set of 26x12x12 and 26x9x12 Maxxis Bighorns(RZR-s take-offs).I bought these to use as trail tires and had them mounted on the ITP Type 4's.How do they perform? Well...they're Bighorns.They are perfect for what they are.

Now I needed mud tires.I've had Outlaws before,and know how they perform,but wanted something different.However,I picked up a set of 29.5x10x12 Outlaws mounted on STi wheels really cheap.Then I got lucky and got an offer I couldn't refuse before I even put the Outlaws on the Rhino.I traded them even for a set of 14" ITP SS112's with 30x9x14 and 30x11x14 Silverbacks mounted on them.These are absolutely awesome in the mud...and actually aren't too bad to trail ride with once you get over about 5mph.

Before the Rhino I had a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 800.It had 29.5x12x12 Outlaws on all 4 mounted on wide offset MSA Tork wheels.
The rode rough,but mudded great.The wides on the front made it harder t steer,but I was more concerned with the flotation and mud performance than the ride.

Before the Popo,I had a 2005 Honda Rincon 650(which was totaled in Hurricane Ike).It had 25" Mud Lites on the stock wheels when i got it.
Not a bad tire...just way too tiny for what I wanted.I lifted it and bought ITP SS108 wheels and wrapped them with 28x12x12 MudLites that I got cheap.Truthfully...as much smack as these tires get..I actually really liked them.The rode decent,mudded decent,and trail rode decent.I think the Mud Lite is a pretty good choice for someone who is looking for an all around tire...that doesn't break the bank.
Back to top Go down
RLCMOTORSPORTS
Moderate Mudder
RLCMOTORSPORTS

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 8:06 am

rhino_lined_rhino wrote:

New set (should be here thurs 10/28) is 14" itp ss108 flat black wheels wider rear off set with 26x9x14/26x11x14 gbc grim reapers. Hoping they will handle the trails I prefer to ride better. Like the fact they are 8 ply (xtr I believe is 6 ply) and that they have a beefy rim guard. I am more of a rock crawling enthusiasts then sand or long mud pulls. Of course I ride fairly quick speeds and hit mud holes only slowing down for them if I get stuck and have to go to 4 wheel drive. So I'm hoping the grim reapers will stick better and handle my ride style better. I have heard good things about them way more good then bad and like what I have heard. But until this weekend I won't be able to post a review on them since I don't have them right at this moment. Will report back in a few days.

Follow up on the grim reapers! They are an absolutely excellent tire and tough as nails hands down. After my ride at pickett I have a few good sized gouges out of the wheels and had a chunk of wood stick between the front wheel and tire bead, but never damaged a tire or lost any air pressure what so ever. Climbed the rocks like a champ with minimal wheel spin and lots of traction. Unless I bellied out they climbed up like it was flat ground. The side walls help up awesome no punctures like the xtr's. Plus they are lighter than the xtr set up I had so when wheel spin is necessary it does it like a champ without struggling to turn the 27s. In mud they go great if you stay moving. Only had to stop in mud once and after some wheel spin got out of it, the xtr's being like shovels would just dig and go on, these aren't set up like that and I'm glad of it. But all around trail riding tire that can take a beating and looks awesome, I highly recommend the grim reapers.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rlcmotorsports.com
Sponsored content

Tires Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tires   Tires Empty

Back to top Go down

Tires
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mud and Guts Offroad Forum :: General Discussion :: Wheels and Tires-
Jump to: