Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Spare Tire Carrier

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Spare Tire Carrier Empty
PostSubject: Spare Tire Carrier   Spare Tire Carrier EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 10:34 am

I looked forever trying to find a spare tire carrier that suited me and when I found nothing I decided to build one myself with some steel I had laying in the garage..

This is a bolt on carrier that uses stock mounting points.

First I cut 2 pieces of flat steel drilled 3 holes in each one and bolted it to the sides of the bed..(this pictures shows the crossbars tacked in place but you can get the picture).

Spare Tire Carrier DSC00367

Next I added the 1"x2" lower bar(I used 1x2 because I had no 1x1 that was long enough).

Spare Tire Carrier DSC00361

Next I put my large cooler in the bed and built around it. I cut and added the top cross bar then the two center bars and a support bar running from the top cross bar strait down to the bed(in this picture the support bar is not center but I did center it before final welding).. If you wanted to save bed room you could run the top bar parallel with the lower leaving the tire strait up and down yielding more bed room but I just wanted the laid back Baja style look..

Spare Tire Carrier DSC00369

In this picture I added the flat steel and the "T" which the wheel bolts to.. I tacked the T in place so I can just grind the weld and use with different offset wheels.

Spare Tire Carrier DSC00372

Here is a picture with the tire installed..

Spare Tire Carrier DSC00399

It is still not finished I think I am going to add a few bars to hold my small tool box and then I will coat it with a bed coating so it matches the herculiner I used on the bed.. I am still uncertain if I really like the looks but it seems to be holding up great so far...
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
Tim
Lite Mudder
Tim

Spare Tire Carrier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare Tire Carrier   Spare Tire Carrier EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 4:40 pm

I like it. I think it looks good.
Back to top Go down
spud
Moderate Mudder

Spare Tire Carrier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare Tire Carrier   Spare Tire Carrier EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 9:16 pm

looks good buddy Spare Tire Carrier 9695
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Spare Tire Carrier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare Tire Carrier   Spare Tire Carrier EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 9:54 pm

Thanks peps!

I am also considering filling the gaps between the upper and lower cross bars with flat steel to clean it up a bit..
Back to top Go down
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

Spare Tire Carrier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare Tire Carrier   Spare Tire Carrier EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 2:19 am

looks great. im glad you left room for the beer!
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Spare Tire Carrier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare Tire Carrier   Spare Tire Carrier EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 8:31 am

moto92 wrote:
looks great. im glad you left room for the beer!

Spare Tire Carrier 607716
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Spare Tire Carrier Empty
PostSubject: Re: Spare Tire Carrier   Spare Tire Carrier Empty

Back to top Go down

Spare Tire Carrier
Page 1 of 1