Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Being the leader of a ride

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
RedRzr
Heavy Mudder
RedRzr

Being the leader of a ride Empty
PostSubject: Being the leader of a ride   Being the leader of a ride EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 7:41 pm

This was copied from east tennessee atv riders website, I think Rooster hit the nail on the head with this one, I hope he don't mind, but I really like what he said, this is not too make anyone mad, I just think it is very good info.

The Responsibilities of the Leader of a Ride
By Rooster

Updated May 7, 2010

Leading a ride or offering to take other people out and show them around is a big responsibility. It should not be taken lightly. Now I am not implying any sort of Liability for other peoples actions. Everyone that comes out and rides their ATV’s is fully aware of the dangers that can present themselves. What I am saying is that as friends we should be looking after each other and offer assistance when necessary. In this article I will attempt to lay out what I consider some basic rules for leading a ride. Just thought an article on the subject might help some of those who lead or guide rides.

Rule #1 – Learn as much as you can about the People who have come out to ride with you. Try to find out how many trail rides they have been on. By asking this simple question you will get a good idea as to what kind of route you should be taking and the pace of the ride. Also I like to have the least experience riders right up behind the leader. That way the leader can watch after them. This also solves another problem which is the group getting spread out to far. By having the least experienced riders behind the leader the ride can be slowed or altered as necessary.

Rule #2 – Have a Drivers meeting before the ride. Explain to the group the following:

1. What time you expect to be back to the vehicles

2. How technical will the ride be, easy, moderate, extreme, slow pace, fast pace.

3. Explain to the riders to watch out for the rider behind them. Especially at turns or intersections in the trail. Explain to the riders if they get to a turn or intersection and don't know which way everyone else went to STOP and stay put. Don't move. It will be a short time before the leaders will realize that you have become seperated and someone will backtrack to find you. If you try to go and find the group on your own and you are unfamiliar with the area you may really become lost. Also, when the group stops along the trail for one reason or another , pull off as far as possible from the trail to give other vehicles room to pass the group. Don't Block the Trail.

4. Explain what to do if they break down or have a problem. In case of mechanical problems the group will wait and help out.

Rule #3 – Adjust your ride according to the wants or needs of the group. A good indication of a ride that is too fast paced is your group is getting separated. Slow it down if this happens. When you come to an area that is difficult, then motion to the rider behind you to wait while you proceed. That way they can see the path you took and decide what path they want to take. Also it gives you a chance to pull ahead and park so you can dismount and help some of the less experienced riders thru a rough area. Listen to the riders when you take a rest stop. They will usually tell you if they ride is to fast or rough.

Rule #4 – Never Ever allow your group to get separated. If a rider decides that they need to return to the vehicles then send someone back with them. Remember you were asked to lead or guide the ride because you were familiar with the trails. The other riders might not be. If someone breaks down then one of your responsibilities is to see that they make it out and back to the vehicles. Never leave anyone alone in the woods unless there is not other option to render assistance. Also if a rider decides that they are going to leave the group and explore on their own then make sure that they are familiar with the trails. It would not be a bad idea to check when you got back to the vehicles to see if they have left or still in the woods.

Rule #5 - Never do an exploring ride with a large group. Nothing worse than turning a group of 20 wheelers around at a Dead End Trail. Take the time to plan your route out the night before. At least get a good idea of the trails you will be riding. If you want to Explore make sure the group understands this and all are in agreement. Exploring rides are better when done with no more than 5 or 6 wheelers.

Minimum Equipment - At a minimum the Leader and Tail Gunner should have GMRS Radios. Any other riders that have them helps. Some other helpful items, something to cut tree limbs loopers or chainsaw will do, Tow Strap, Air Compressor and extra gas for those that might need it. A GPS and knowing how to use it is helpful but not necessary if you know the area you are riding in.

Remember, you were asked to lead or guide a ride. You are not Liable but responsible for leading the group thru the trails and returning them to the vehicles. Stick to your planned return time to the vehicles. If you want to ride some more or others don't then it is still your responsibility to get the others back to the vehicles. If you don’t want any of this responsibility then my suggestion is this:

Don’t be a Guider or Leader – Let someone else do it.

Back to top Go down
Big Dog Daddy
Extreme Mudder
Big Dog Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Being the leader of a ride   Being the leader of a ride EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 8:05 pm

Great article by Rooster. Thanks for posting. I have been on rides with rooster as a guide and he does a Great job. Redrzr is certainly a good leader as well. Below is a portion of the article that must not be taken lightly when following Redrzr up the gullly.

lol

" When you come to an area that is difficult, then motion to the rider behind you to wait while you proceed. That way they can see the path you took and decide what path they want to take. Also it gives you a chance to pull ahead and park so you can dismount and help some of the less experienced riders thru a rough area. "

Being the leader of a ride Dscf1510

Sorry Buddy I couldn't help myself.
Back to top Go down
RedRzr
Heavy Mudder
RedRzr

PostSubject: Re: Being the leader of a ride   Being the leader of a ride EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 9:49 pm

Very Happy That's where I was showing you not to go !!!! Being the leader of a ride 9695
Back to top Go down
Big Dog Daddy
Extreme Mudder
Big Dog Daddy

PostSubject: Re: Being the leader of a ride   Being the leader of a ride EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 10:01 pm

That's why your the best leader, you take one for the team. lol
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Being the leader of a ride   Being the leader of a ride EmptyFri Dec 16, 2011 10:11 pm

Great write up! Being the leader of a ride 108521
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Being the leader of a ride   Being the leader of a ride Empty

Back to top Go down

Being the leader of a ride
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mud and Guts Offroad Forum :: General Discussion :: Ride Planning-
Jump to: