Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

**Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!!

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
JodyT
Moderate Mudder
JodyT

**Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!! Empty
PostSubject: **Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!!   **Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!! EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 8:44 pm

ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Wow! What a day. We pulled out just after 9 AM eastern for a great day on Brimstones’ AWESOME trails. We had 5 RZR’s 1 Teryx, and 1 Rhino. Riders were; Tony and Family from Tony’s Toys, BubbaNewf, Bald Eagle/MulchMan, The Big Show/Amy, Stakk, Pork Chop, and Myself /Austin. I’m not sure of the trail #’s we ran all day, I was too busy having FUN!!! I do know we left on 1 and came back on 1.

We made our way over to some pavement to keep from running gravel to 89. Tony’s RZR is sick!! affraid 4 wheel steering with Gorilla Axles, and 30” MudLites; we had to run 3-4 miles of pavement to make good time over to 89. Pavement and Gorilla Axles don’t mix I learned. By the time we made our way over to 89 those axles were hot enough to boil water! :shock: They had already begun to sling grease out of the outer Boot on the drivers side. A quick trip to a creek and several minutes of pouring water over them cooled them down enough that we could continue.

We worked our way up 89, which the last time I was on 89 it was approaching red status. They have been working on it and it was not very bad at all. We told Chop we wanted a good technical ride…and boy did he deliver if you had the sack to follow him….LOL!

We came to The Rebel Yell trail # 44Y, Chop got out, to see who wanted to tackle it! He said the “y” was for why the hell did I do this! I said lets roll I’m game, so me, Tony and Chop took off while the rest waited at the bottom of the hill. I thought The Big Show was behind me, but I was mistaken….seems he decided he didn’t want no part of 44Y! About ½ way Chop stopped to tell me and Tony to wait there so he could go ahead of us and get set up to get some video. Tony looked back at me and said “this isn’t so bad”….Little did we know we weren’t there YET! :shock:

44Y is pretty tame until you get to the Mapped end of it, that’s were they have cut a trail up the hill, or rather BLUFF, to connect into #93. You don’t get but about a 20’ run at this monster Climb! Chop went 1st, he hit it with all that RZR could muster and literally flew up it on the 2 rear wheels. Tony was up now in his Monster Rock crawler RZR, he thought he would try just crawling up it….NOT!!! :shock: He just about stood it on its tail! He decided the Floor and the ‘gas pedal needed to meet! This time with plenty of throttle and quite a bit of wheel spin he made it….I got his run on film, it won’t do this climb justice!!! Well I’m up next, the others are out of sight up the hill, I get strapped in and turn the in car camera on. I tell Austin told hold to the grab bar and Not to turn loose no matter what happens! I have been on some mighty Rough terrain but this climb took the cake! I hit it with all the RZR could give me, all four tires digging for all they were worth, and foot to the floor! Finally after what seemed like forever I finally hooked some solid ground and propelled up the slope. Knowing what lay ahead of me I kept the foot to the floor for the next section when all of a sudden I hooked something with the left front and it jerked me right into a stump on my left. Let me say this….that EMP front bumper can take a Lick! We came to an abrupt stop, I had to back up to try and get around the stump, when I did, that was my undoing, the RZR slid over the bank into a tree. No amount of throttle or wheel turning was going to budge me, so out came the Winch. Now mind you, all of this is on Film! After I get winched to the top of this section Chop tells me that the rest is a cake walk. We have to go back down the way we came up to collect the rest of the group. Now going down is much worse than the climb up was to me. I think I busted a few stitches in the Seat squeezing my butt cheeks together coming off that monster!

Back at the bottom we continue on with the rest of the Group. The trails we rode today are some of their newest over there. We got to do the Camo Trail, which is great! We also ran Ole Stogie which has a nice Natural bridge that you have to carefully negotiate with the help of a good spotter. Its at this time that I look down at Chops RZR and see that he has hit something with his left front A-arm guard so hard that it has pushed it back into his CV boot and cut a nice little chunk out of it! Nothing can be done to fix it so we push on…

On the way back to the trucks after Ole Stogie we head up Trail 102 which is Red on the Sign…Sweet! Tony is in front of me on the 1st big climb, about ½ way up it that left rear CV joint starts telling us just how unhappy it is. Tony hears it but there isn’t much he can do at this point. We get to the top of the climb when all I see is a huge cloud of smoke. My 1st thought was his RZR just Blew up, but no it was his CV boot! Seems his Axle was so hot that it melted the Boot on the Shaft and then threw the grease up on the Exhaust!:shock: I have never seen a boot just Melt off of the Shaft! After a few pictures to document this extraordinary event it’s decided that we need to work out a less stressful way back to the truck. With a good plan of attack we start making our way out the rest of 102, when I see Tony start looking down at the sick Axle, then he turns his RZR cross ways of the trail and shuts it down. Seems the Rubber from the boot had melted down on to his Brake line and when he took off it ripped the Line out of the RZR!!!! Now it has gone from bad to worse!!! Melted CV Boot, and now no Brakes!!! New game plan in hand so we can avoid any step descents, we get ready to leave and low and behold his RZR won’t start. Seems Polaris builds a Safety pressure switch into these things so that you have to have brakes, or they won’t start! After a few minutes of searching we finally find the pressure switch under the drivers seat and by bass it to get it started again. We finally made it back to the trucks, with 47 miles on the clock and a very fun ride behind us. cheers cheers cheers

I want to thank Pork Chop and Stakk for leading this great Ride today. Also thanks to The Big Show for getting this set up! I will be back to Brimstone to ride with Chop again, he owes me a trip up the Twisted Sister!!! Also thanks to Jim for hanging in there with us today, I think he improves each time out with that RZR!

I will have Pics and Video up ASAP!!!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/jodytompkins
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: **Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!!   **Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!! EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 10:54 pm

Man that's an awesome writeup thanks for sharing....

Sounds like a memorable ride for sure!!! I seen the Pictures can't wait to see the video!! **Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!! 607716
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: **Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!!   **Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!! EmptySat Jun 05, 2010 11:05 pm

For those who do not know what ETAR stands for its "East Tennessee ATV riders" they are a great bunch of guys who love to ride(as you can tell from Jody's post).
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
The Big Show
Lite Mudder
The Big Show

PostSubject: Re: **Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!!   **Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!! EmptySun Jun 06, 2010 12:32 am

Awesome ride report Jody **Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!! 993135 I had a blast and
look forward to hiting those trails,Twisted Sister,
and a few more of the news trails on the next ride.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: **Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!!   **Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!! Empty

Back to top Go down

**Ride Report** ETAR Do Brimstone Recreation!!!
Page 1 of 1