Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Grizz is on Fire

Go down 
+3
RedRzr
Moto92
DrMud
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 10:57 pm

So, nice 60 degree sunny day today, call my ride bro to go to Turkey Bay LBL and ride….He calls back….his new puppy dog is sick, going to the vet…will be there..just late. So, Iam five minutes into my ride, just killing time by myself waiting on my friend, couple guys on dirt bikes wave me over, need a wrench. Get ready to shut the Grizz off and steam appears to be coming out from every end. I am thinking broke radiator, hose, temp gauge is not on, step off start looking and low and behold, this Grizz is ablaze.

A fire is flaming on the inside of the muffler heat shield. I start throwing my stuff out of the storage box, looking for the two quarts of water that I had just dropped in there for today. Let me help you, my storage box is full of stuff, you just never know….. Get the water bottles squirting, the dirt bike guys join in with their water, now the fire is going in two places behind the muffler and a few leaves are burning just behind the motor on the floor skid.

Out of water, two fires,….my son is a mudder and he is always stopping up his radiator, so I carry this 12 inch water cannon in the storage box…..purchased from Cabellas. (Got the idea from Sponge, thanks BRO, you saved my Grizz today) I start going back and forth to the water puddle 15 feet away getting a tube of water to squirt, still burning, the dirt bike guys suggest and help push the Grizz into the water, can get some coverage now with the water cannon,, about 5-10 squirts later, fire is out….whew…..

Look it over for about 30 minutes,carefully and attentively remove any more leaves….just a little bit of side plastic is burned, that seems to be all, start it runs good, goes into gear, brakes, pod, all good. Hit the water hole about 5 good passes to soak any other kindling material still sitting around… Ride on hitting every water hole about 20 mile and hour……..

So, some will say, should have cleaned it better. I did powerwash it two times, but my last trip was pretty muddy, see the video…. No, I did not get down on my hands and knees and clean out behind the muffler, will now, even if the knees do hurt….strongly encourage all to clean these leaves out for awhile.

I have about 3000 miles on atv’s and this was a first. Also, watch for any unusual steam. Because this may not be steam, Your ride could be on fire.
Back to top Go down
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 11:26 pm

ive had sticks and leave gather on the rear skid plate and the header catch them on fire. its happened several times. last time it did i was just out on a trail with no water. luckily i had my gloves on so i reached in and started grabbing flaming handfuls. guess an extinguisher is a good thing to have handy.
glad you didnt lose your ride doc
Back to top Go down
RedRzr
Heavy Mudder
RedRzr

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyFri Nov 25, 2011 11:30 pm

That sucks, glad you got it out. affraid
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 7:27 am

RedRzr wrote:
That sucks, glad you got it out. affraid

X2

I was sitting here yesterday thinking how I need to get a fire extinguisher for the rhino... I hope you find that it did not do any more damage when you get time to check it out..
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 8:59 am

I later that day went through about 3 feet of water, no problems yet.
Back to top Go down
RIDERED
Over the Top Mudder
RIDERED

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 11:19 am

:face: glad everything is fine !
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 10:33 pm

Grizz is on Fire DSC02127
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 10:34 pm

Grizz is on Fire DSC02119
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 10:35 pm

Grizz is on Fire DSC02128
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 10:37 pm

The gas tank shield burned in two, gas tank sets about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch from shield, the shield wraps around the gas tank or the gas tank sites inside or on top of this shield. interestingly, the gas tank was not melted, and thankful,,,
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 10:39 pm

Grizz is on Fire DSC02125

Gas tank sits on top and down inside the gas tank shield, that has the corner burnt out.
Back to top Go down
RedRzr
Heavy Mudder
RedRzr

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 10:40 pm

Grizz is on Fire 534168 don't look like too much damage, could have been alot worse.
Should have been riding with me, you know I carry a fire extingusher. lol
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 10:43 pm

LOL,, Redrzr, sure looks like everybody tried hard to outdo our last ride at Pickett.

About 20 bucks in damage and a little time in the garage that I enjoyed with my son.
Back to top Go down
RedRzr
Heavy Mudder
RedRzr

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 10:47 pm

It's worth that to spend time with the son, just glad it didn't turn out any worse; and yes they did try but did not acomplish the ride that we had.
Grizz is on Fire 9695
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 10:55 pm

When you going to have it back together bro?
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 11:00 pm

Soon as the part comes in, ordered today...usually three days.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 11:01 pm

RedRzr wrote:
It's worth that to spend time with the son, just glad it didn't turn out any worse; and yes they did try but did not acomplish the ride that we had.
Grizz is on Fire 9695

Must of stayed on the trail to much and no Bushwacking. Very Happy Grizz is on Fire 9695 lol
Back to top Go down
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyTue Nov 29, 2011 11:30 pm

looks like you got lucky on that one
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyWed Nov 30, 2011 8:45 am

After a careful inspection, the gas tank has no damage, except for a few dimples made because of rocks between it and the gas tank shield. Yes, I feel lucky, could have been bad. The dirt bike guys never backed out or down and hung right in there beside me, never got to thank them. Thanks fellow riders.
Back to top Go down
butch450
Lite Mudder
butch450

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 12:03 am

Damn Doc you definitely got lucky. Kind of ironic though with all the mud/water riding you do. This time of year you have to be real careful with all the leaves these machines attract. A good lesson for all to remember to remove side panels and clear out any leaves after a ride. Congrats on the Mod position. I know Ray could definitely use the help.
Back to top Go down
http://grizzlyriders.com
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 1:23 am

butch450 wrote:
Damn Doc you definitely got lucky. Kind of ironic though with all the mud/water riding you do. This time of year you have to be real careful with all the leaves these machines attract. A good lesson for all to remember to remove side panels and clear out any leaves after a ride. Congrats on the Mod position. I know Ray could definitely use the help.

Thanks Butch450, yeah the leaves dried out for a week in the garage, then caught on fire pretty fast, this mod thing, will give it a go,, already feel like i need to come back over and apologize to your crew...LOL,,

Everbody confused: Off forum convesation....
Back to top Go down
butch450
Lite Mudder
butch450

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyThu Dec 01, 2011 10:13 am

DrMud wrote:

Thanks Butch450, yeah the leaves dried out for a week in the garage, then caught on fire pretty fast, this mod thing, will give it a go,, already feel like i need to come back over and apologize to your crew...LOL,,

Everbody confused: Off forum convesation....

Would have just said congrats over there but didn't see you on. And I can't say it on GC since I am not on there. Sorry for any confusion to others reading this.
Back to top Go down
http://grizzlyriders.com
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 3:11 am

Congrats on the new position dr! on which forum are you now a moderator?
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 3:29 pm

The moderator job is over at Grizzly Central. I will come out a better citizen after this job, and much more considerate of people that go to the effort to make a forum work. ....and Neil...you keepin some odd hours...1am in the morning???making a video I hope....I been trying to load one for two days to youtube, will post up when I get it loaded.

My other thought, is this group is a great group of folks to chat and ride with. Grizz is on Fire 9695 :mago:
Back to top Go down
imbill
Extreme Mudder
imbill

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire EmptyFri Dec 02, 2011 7:50 pm

congrats on the mod job !! Ill bet it will be fun !!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Grizz is on Fire Empty
PostSubject: Re: Grizz is on Fire   Grizz is on Fire Empty

Back to top Go down

Grizz is on Fire
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next