Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

SOMEONE WILL KNOW !!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
imbill
Extreme Mudder
imbill

SOMEONE WILL KNOW !! Empty
PostSubject: SOMEONE WILL KNOW !!   SOMEONE WILL KNOW !! EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 8:53 am

Is there any advantage to having 14 inch rims over 12 inch ??? The only differance i find is 14inch tires are higher priced !!
SOMEONE WILL KNOW !! 169520
Back to top Go down
RIDERED
Over the Top Mudder
RIDERED

PostSubject: Re: SOMEONE WILL KNOW !!   SOMEONE WILL KNOW !! EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 11:47 am

My opinion.....On vehicles, The reason for larger rims was to have less sidewall,thus increased the tires load capacity(16-16.5-19 on 3/4, 1 and 1 1/2 ton trucks), on atv,utv I'd guess it was just for looks because any time you shorten the sidewall distance it increases the chance of pinching the sidewalls... Alot of newer vehicles have larger rims to clear the larger brake setups also....

Good question... thats SOMEONE WILL KNOW !! 789354
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: SOMEONE WILL KNOW !!   SOMEONE WILL KNOW !! EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 3:22 pm

I think the main reason is for looks but the 14 inch rim does also offer a better handling ride! As RIDERED said the larger the rim the less sidewall you have as apposed to running the same size tire on a 12 inch wheel. So the 14 inch wheel yields less tire flex and a more positive feel when cornering or just riding at faster speeds..

For rocky terrains and slower speeds 12 inch wheels tend to work better..
In the rocks when running a 12 inch rim and a 25 inch tire the rim takes less abuse then a 14 inch rim with the same size tires due to less tire to protect the 14 inch rim..
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
SXS411.com
Lite Mudder
SXS411.com

PostSubject: Re: SOMEONE WILL KNOW !!   SOMEONE WILL KNOW !! EmptyFri Feb 11, 2011 5:23 pm

looks and usually heavier- less tire roll thou.
Back to top Go down
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

PostSubject: Re: SOMEONE WILL KNOW !!   SOMEONE WILL KNOW !! EmptySat Feb 12, 2011 2:51 am

14 are better for handling, less sidewall flex.
12 are better for traction.
thats what ive always heard
Back to top Go down
imbill
Extreme Mudder
imbill

PostSubject: Re: SOMEONE WILL KNOW !!   SOMEONE WILL KNOW !! EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 2:26 pm

THJANKS for thr response i guess it makes since on sxs to have bigger wheels more stable ???
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: SOMEONE WILL KNOW !!   SOMEONE WILL KNOW !! EmptySun Feb 13, 2011 5:14 pm

imbill wrote:
THJANKS for thr response i guess it makes since on sxs to have bigger wheels more stable ???

I have tried the 12's and 14's and personally (so far) I prefer the 12's with a 26 inch tire! The 14 inch rims take a lot of abuse and ride a little rougher in rough terrain..
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: SOMEONE WILL KNOW !!   SOMEONE WILL KNOW !! Empty

Back to top Go down

SOMEONE WILL KNOW !!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mud and Guts Offroad Forum :: General Discussion :: Wheels and Tires-
Jump to: