Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

How to get a stuck CV out of diff

Go down 
+4
mudhound
Redrzrrider
Muddy Melvin
jerrzr
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jerrzr
Lite Mudder
jerrzr

How to get a stuck CV out of diff Empty
PostSubject: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Sometimes axels separate from the cv when trying to pull out from the diff leaving the cv stuck and nothing to pull on. No need to fabricate some fancy tool to get it out. A simple slide hammer and vice grips is all you need to remove any CV or axel--thought  I would share some of my Mc Guyverism if it ever happens to you .No more stuck axels-works every time!

How to get a stuck CV out of diff 100_7649
Back to top Go down
Muddy Melvin
Lite Mudder

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 1:43 pm

i think the penetrating oil probably help as much as anything you could do to help loosen them up but this is a good ideal you have there.

how often does everyone lube these dry sockets anyway.
Back to top Go down
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 3:02 pm

I know 1800 miles is too long to wait before lubeing them. Mine were stuck solid.
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 5:57 pm

good idea!
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyFri Dec 06, 2013 10:20 pm

I greased mine every few hundred miles this year.. Depending on how much water you ride in and what kind of grease you use how often it actually needs to be done..

Good tip brother! How to get a stuck CV out of diff 607716 
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
jerrzr
Lite Mudder
jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 5:41 pm

People debate about using either anti sieze or grease on the splines. But It is where the c clip and groove gets corroded by rust and debri that cuases them to get stuck. . Sure grease or anti sieze will work to help keep that from happening, but I have found over the years that if you just hit it with PB blaster from time to time after you wash or ride or whenever-- You wont have a problem with axles sticking--Simple and easy to do - no disassembly- and Much cleaner than grease too!
Back to top Go down
imbill
Extreme Mudder
imbill

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptySat Dec 07, 2013 6:12 pm

GOOD DEAL thanks !!
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyMon Dec 09, 2013 1:24 pm

I have a lot of play in my inner front axle where it goes in the diff, guess I will be wishing that I had pulled and lubed the splines, A dry spline socket is a bad design to say the least.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyTue Dec 10, 2013 8:28 am

Both my front axles have a lot of play in them to dr.. I keep them greased but they still have a lot..
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 6:58 am

Mud-and-Guts wrote:
Both my front axles have a lot of play in them to dr.. I keep them greased but they still have a lot..

That is what I am starting to do now........ go to she blows.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 8:36 am

DrMud wrote:
Mud-and-Guts wrote:

That is what I am starting to do now........ go to she blows.

Our bikes must have been built around the same time with the same issues.. Jason had an 09 I think and he said his didn't have near the play as mine. May have been a tolerance issue they let slide.
Back to top Go down
jerrzr
Lite Mudder
jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 10:33 am

Tons of play in mine since day one. 9,000 miles later and on my fourth set of axles ( and too many broken cv's to count), I still have the same amount of play with no other issues. I can tell you that grease doesnt do crap to take out the slop and it doesn't prevent the slop or stops the wear on the splines. The only good it seems to do is to keep your axle from sticking upon removal.

If you want to take the slop out, wrap a layer of Teflon tape around the splines before you insert them in the diff. I experimented with this once snd it worked! I got scared to leave it that way thinking about how hard it might be the next time I had to pul the axle so I removed the Teflon and left the slop..

My rzr is 08 and after 9000 miles of slop nothing has exploded yet so it really ain't a big deal so you guys shouldn't worry about it much
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyWed Dec 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Good Deal jerrzr,  How to get a stuck CV out of diff 607716 
Back to top Go down
utrzr110
Beginner
utrzr110

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 8:06 am

I would (think) that adding grease on the axle would speed up the wear process when dirt, sand or debris in general stick to it & acts as grinding compound. Maybe I'm wrong but the grease will be a magnet for whatever it comes in contact with & create more play. Thoughts on that theory?
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 8:34 am

Grease will attract more dirt but if packed with grease it may block dirt from getting inside to the splines. With grease or no grease with play already in it mud could wash into the splines and get wedged between the splines and diff socket. With grease atleast until the grease gets washed out it could fill the void and block the dirt from entering the socket. Conventional grease will wash out (or push out) pretty quick so this last time I used schafers tacky grease which is real stringy and will hopefully stretch and squeeze to keep the void full longer (could just block the dirt in if it finds a place to enter). Maybe a waste though because when the diff is under strain it may push the most of the grease out right a way. I have been removing mine and cleaning them regular and trying different greases each time but none have been as tacky as the schaffers so far.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 8:39 am

A dry spline socket is a bad idea, grease or no grease, just a bad idea. A simple seal, run in fluid like Yamaha, very simple.

One side of mine is very loose (passenger side) while other is just loose. Is this same as rest?
Back to top Go down
jerrzr
Lite Mudder
jerrzr

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 10:07 am

DrMud wrote:
A dry spline socket is a bad idea, grease or no grease, just a bad idea.  A simple seal, run in fluid like Yamaha, very simple.

One side of mine is very loose (passenger side) while other is just loose.  Is this same as rest?

I totally agree. But on a positive note, the dry socket sure is nice when you break a cv or axle out on the trail you can remove the axle and finish a ride out or drive it back home with no worries of contaminating the diff with water or mudd.

On the rear diff, you just can't remove the axle because the diff will be opened up and you don't want to run with a broken cv or axle at all! You may or may not be ok limping along with a broke axle, but I've seen way too many times the carnage a broke axle can cause if they seperate and sling free when trying to limp back home.
Back to top Go down
Redrzrrider
Moderate Mudder
Redrzrrider

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 1:20 pm

My front axles have been loose since new and haven't gave any trouble yet. I have had to replace a rear axle seal due to it leaking.
Back to top Go down
utrzr110
Beginner
utrzr110

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff EmptyThu Dec 12, 2013 1:25 pm

I had a 2011 Rzr with a +6 kit on it & it felt like the axles had .25 inch clearance all the way around but never failed or gave any trouble.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to get a stuck CV out of diff   How to get a stuck CV out of diff Empty

Back to top Go down

How to get a stuck CV out of diff
Page 1 of 1