Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Durhamtown Tellico!!?? potential re_opening of parts of Tellico!!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

Durhamtown Tellico!!?? potential re_opening of parts of Tellico!! Empty
PostSubject: Durhamtown Tellico!!?? potential re_opening of parts of Tellico!!   Durhamtown Tellico!!?? potential re_opening of parts of Tellico!! EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 10:25 pm

Hey guys has anyone else heard about this? This is an email circulating and apparently is on Facebook. I very well may try and go if I am able! I sure miss tellico!! Really hope this works out! Plus is just right down the road from me!!

Official Press Release for Durhamtown Tellico

On October 25th, 26th and 27th there will be a limited Inaugural ride at the new Durhamtown Tellico Park located in Murphy NC which is approximately 2 hours north of Atlanta.

About the Park
Durhamtown has partnered with landowners whose property adjoins the Original Tellico ORV and includes some of the private trails that were above the original ORV Park known as upper Tellico.

The facility will be managed, organized, and will not be a free for all riding park like the original ORV Park was operated. The disorganization resulted in the Park being closed by government officials due to damage of the natural ecosystems. All riders must stay on designated trails and these rules will be strictly enforced. Currently, there are approximated 4000 acres of mountainous trails and rock climbing.

Many trails will be 2-way, used with caution, and not a high speed facility! The areas consist of over 40 miles of existing trails. More are being added as the leaves fall to expose many old logging trails with many challenges. There are waterfalls and many mountain tops with 270 degree panoramic views. We have a 50 acre area that was clear cut 4 years ago with access to some very large and promising challenges including many large rock faces. The locals have called it:
“School Bus’s Granddaddy” For those of you that don’t know; School Bus is famously known Rock Crawl.

This area has many boulders ready to climb and more will be cleared when the leaves fall and we can see them more clearly. There is a 13 mile trail that travels along the ridge tops that begin on the main tract and end at Tellico’s old trail # 4. This trail is one of the most exciting trails I have ridden in a Side by Side.

This property consists of some of the most spectacular scenery in the Southeast and has been managed for 15 years as a trophy trout destination. We will continue to maintain the standards as planned. There are 5 trout ponds and 4 miles of managed streams; with one stream designated as a catch and release only for 18”-26” Rainbow Trout.

Camping is permitted in designated areas along the streams at no charge for the Inaugural Ride Weekend. Camping is Primitive with: No power, fresh water in the streams and a port a potty will be onsite for Campers.

We will be enhancing the camping sites over the next few months and fees will be charged for Camping at that time.

The closest lodging is in Murphy at Motels but those needing reservations should call immediately due to prime leaf turning season in the area.
The Inaugural Ride Info and Reservation

The inaugural Ride:
For this event we are limited and all of those that interested in participating will need to contact Mike directly.
Reservations Contact:
Mike McCommons
The best way is by emailing Mike with “Tellico” as the subject line to: mikemc@durhamtown.com or you may call him at the office 706-486-4603 or 706-486-4664

For the 1st ride, only a small group of riders will be permitted, to show the land owner we can ride respectfully on his land and continue to enjoy it by not throwing trash on his property and staying on designated trails. We are looking forward to many years of developing one of the best off road destinations on the east coast.

Cost for this 3 day ride is: Paid by Credit Card in Advance (1st Come, 1st Serve)
$50 per registered Rider
$10 for any passenger or guest

Once registered, you will get a confirmation, info, and directions etc. We will provide maps on site at our designated meeting point.
Looking forward to seeing you there!

Mike McCommons
Durhamtown
Durhamtown Tellico!!?? potential re_opening of parts of Tellico!! 728588 
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

PostSubject: Re: Durhamtown Tellico!!?? potential re_opening of parts of Tellico!!   Durhamtown Tellico!!?? potential re_opening of parts of Tellico!! EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 5:49 am

very interesting! Cool. I sure hope it works out
Back to top Go down
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

PostSubject: Re: Durhamtown Tellico!!?? potential re_opening of parts of Tellico!!   Durhamtown Tellico!!?? potential re_opening of parts of Tellico!! EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 10:26 pm

Well got some more info! Emailed earlier this evening requesting to be put on the list to go ride. Within 30 minutes had a response back from Mike McCommons, said to call to asap and reserve a spot and pay. I called the number and a lady answered the phone. I told her I was wanting to be put on the list for the Tellico ride. She transferred me to Mike. He took my info, and I told him I lived here in Murphy and was familiar with the history of Tellico. I also mentioned I was on a few forums and that the word had already got out about this, and that I would love to help support the cause. Since I said that, he wanted me to know some more info! (Yes!! ) He started off by saying that the land owner, Mr. Thrasher, had been down to the Durhamtown Plantation OHV riding facility and saw how it operated and was maintained. Mr. McCommons said that Mr. Thrasher agreed to allowing him basically a trial period of 1 weekend a month for the next 3 months to see how people reacted and to make sure people were going to abide by the rules of the riding area, mainly stuff like only riding on designated trails, not tearing up the existing trails ( excluding natural wear and tear) and keeping the place clean. Mr. McCommons specifically said that Mr. Thrashers biggest concern was ATV'ers, and Dirt bikes, because they are usually the main ones that try and go off the trails and/or create new trails, and said that if and when during these 3 trial weekends, that they find any sings of rules being broken, then it's a deal breaker. Mr. McCommons then said that if he had to, he would ban ATVs and bikes, and try and salvage it with only allowing trucks and Jeeps. Mr McCommon said he also talked with the people/ group that help shut Tellico down. They went over everything and told him what all they expected, and what they look to make sure does not happen again. So needless to say Mike is gonna be watched like a hawk from many angles! So on Friday, he wants to schedule a meting with all the riders and give them all this info. Then he will release the riders to ride until dark. He did name trail 4 as being one of the existing trails, as well as up around school bus hill, least that what it sounded like the way he described. IF all goes well with these 3 trial weekends, they plan to open it up every weekend starting in January! As well as continue to look at and build more trails. This upcoming week before the ride he and his crew will be going in and developing trail marking and numbers. Said there are about 40 miles of trail right now. I know that don't sound like a lot, but for those who know how Tellico is, you are lucky to ride 40 miles in a day!!! Back when I rode in there, I think the most miles I did was 48 in a day, and that includes 3-5 miles of gravel road to and from the parking lot!! Well as I get more info I will pass it on!! Let all cross our fingers this all works out!!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Durhamtown Tellico!!?? potential re_opening of parts of Tellico!!   Durhamtown Tellico!!?? potential re_opening of parts of Tellico!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Durhamtown Tellico!!?? potential re_opening of parts of Tellico!!
Page 1 of 1