Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Who should relight the Eternal flame

Go down 
+5
Hausscatgrizz
oldmustangjunkie
JodyT
Mud-and-Guts
dino
9 posters
AuthorMessage
dino
Moderate Mudder
dino

Who should relight the Eternal flame Empty
PostSubject: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 9:52 pm

The Eternal Flame is not longer lit. We were out riding the New River WMA this weekend and drove down to show some friends the flame and it was out. Not sure how it was put out but I wasn't sure who should know so I thought I would write this and someone would know. Hope it gets relit because it is a great place.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 10:01 pm

That I have never seen! I hope you guys had a great ride!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
dino
Moderate Mudder
dino

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 11:00 pm

Awesome 4 days of new trails
Back to top Go down
JodyT
Moderate Mudder
JodyT

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptySun Sep 01, 2013 11:51 pm

We usually just lite a pc of paper and throw in the gas stream...make sure and be standing up wind unless you want your eye brows trimmed...lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/jodytompkins
oldmustangjunkie
Moderate Mudder
oldmustangjunkie

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 10:09 am

JodyT wrote:
We usually just lite a pc of paper and throw in the gas stream...make sure and be standing up wind unless you want your eye brows trimmed...lol
Yep. Everytime I've went, its been out and we relit it. lol
Back to top Go down
Hausscatgrizz
Lite Mudder
Hausscatgrizz

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptyMon Sep 02, 2013 5:18 pm

Where is this eternal flame at, I've ridden there once this spring. Have they added new trails?
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 8:18 pm

so much for the eternal thing? LOL!!
Back to top Go down
Mudcon
Lite Mudder
Mudcon

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 3:05 pm

the flame is real low pressure, all you have to do is hold a lighter to the side of it and it will relite.  it goes out all the time due to wind.   what is real fun is cut a top off a cold beverage can and put over the top when it is not lit.  let it sit for about 10 or so min and it builds up alot of pressure.  now light a news paper and through it right next to the can. when enough gets leaked out it will blow the can up past the trees with a good little fire ball.  then go right back down to normal.

we stopped by one night and some locals were there and did that little stunt.   I was at the tree line making water and when they did it almost made mud.  apparantly locals do it all the time.

also make sure when yall make a trip to the flame to always try and pick up around it and take trash out.   we talked to a ranger several trips ago that told us they are close to gating that part at one of the rivers.  but if we stays clean like it has been then they will leave it open.  so we started packing out all the locals trash they through out.  he advised us at the time if we wanted to keep using that area it would be a good idea to and thanked us when he say all the trash already in out buggies we picked up already.
Back to top Go down
Muddy Melvin
Lite Mudder

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptyWed Sep 18, 2013 11:01 pm

Can someone tell me is the Flame an old gas well or is this a natural occuring deal. Just Wondering
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 6:17 am

AMEN on the trash thing. I tend to not invite people who toss trash out on the trails. Who should relight the Eternal flame 789354 

Mudcon wrote:
the flame is real low pressure, all you have to do is hold a lighter to the side of it and it will relite.  it goes out all the time due to wind.   what is real fun is cut a top off a cold beverage can and put over the top when it is not lit.  let it sit for about 10 or so min and it builds up alot of pressure.  now light a news paper and through it right next to the can. when enough gets leaked out it will blow the can up past the trees with a good little fire ball.  then go right back down to normal.

we stopped by one night and some locals were there and did that little stunt.   I was at the tree line making water and when they did it almost made mud.  apparantly locals do it all the time.

also make sure when yall make a trip to the flame to always try and pick up around it and take trash out.   we talked to a ranger several trips ago that told us they are close to gating that part at one of the rivers.  but if we stays clean like it has been then they will leave it open.  so we started packing out all the locals trash they through out.  he advised us at the time if we wanted to keep using that area it would be a good idea to and thanked us when he say all the trash already in out buggies we picked up already.
Back to top Go down
Mudcon
Lite Mudder
Mudcon

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 9:38 am

Muddy Melvin wrote:
Can someone tell me is the Flame an old gas well or is this a natural occuring deal. Just Wondering
the flame is a pressure release from 2 old oil wells on up the mountain that are no longer there. from what I have been told they let it keep venting instead of capping to hold the pressure down. and oh course locals figured out you can light it and sit around it all night and drink...LOL
Back to top Go down
Mudcon
Lite Mudder
Mudcon

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 9:44 am

mudhound wrote:
AMEN on the trash thing.  I tend to not invite people who toss trash out on the trails.  Who should relight the Eternal flame 789354 

I learned dont even say anything to the locals. there has been a few times locals have been there and I say something and pick up there beer can and throw it in the back of my ride and they look at me like I just shot their cow. of course they think it is there land instead of twra.
Back to top Go down
Muddy Melvin
Lite Mudder

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks Mudcon for the answers
Back to top Go down
Mudcon
Lite Mudder
Mudcon

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptyThu Sep 19, 2013 2:08 pm

Who should relight the Eternal flame 956302   the flame is one of the destinations on every ride. most of the time the last stop. Who should relight the Eternal flame 607716 
Back to top Go down
MIKE_D
Moderate Mudder
MIKE_D

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 7:29 pm

Where exactly is this? Royal Blue destination?
Back to top Go down
Muddy Melvin
Lite Mudder

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 9:53 pm

It is located up Montgomery Creek in the Royal Blue section of TWRA. Montgomery Creek Rd turns off Norma Rd about 2 miles down from Smokey Junction. This is the GPS location 36°18'48.71"N 84°17'37.20"W

Hope This Helps
Back to top Go down
MIKE_D
Moderate Mudder
MIKE_D

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame EmptyFri Sep 20, 2013 10:55 pm

Thank you Sir!! Defiantly going next time!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who should relight the Eternal flame   Who should relight the Eternal flame Empty

Back to top Go down

Who should relight the Eternal flame
Page 1 of 1