Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there....

Go down 
+4
Mud-and-Guts
cole795
Bluedevil
CNC_guy
8 posters
AuthorMessage
CNC_guy
Lite Mudder
CNC_guy

The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there.... Empty
PostSubject: The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there....   The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there.... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 4:42 pm

I've heard several stories about how the car hauler came to it's final resting place. The stories have always been pretty close but always just a bit different....even from the locals that live in Slickford. Well, today we had a local contractor come look at a job at our shop. He's from Slickford and lives there now and we got to talking about riding and about whether or not the area would eventually be closed by the new lumber company that owns most of it. I made the statement that people from all over love the area and that people from probably half the country know about the car hauler. He smiled real big and proceeded to tell me the story about how he and a fellow that goes to my dad's church set the car hauler right where it sits today.

As it turns out, the owner of the land at the time loved building roads. It was almost an obsession according to Bobby (the contractor now). He said it's no telling how many loads of gravel he's hauled back there. The owner decided he wanted to build that road to loop around under that overhang and come back out at Carpenter's rock house. As it turns out, the car hauler was here in town at a local guy's place that has a little bit of everything. They ended up working out a deal and Bobby spent a whole day welding and reinforcing the car hauler.

The owner of the land pulled the car hauler back close to where it was going with a large tractor. He stopped at the top of the hill and told Bobby and Joe (the other guy) that he was done for the day and for them to get it put in place. He said they cyphered for the rest of the evening on how to get it in place and came back the next day with a plan. He went into a lot of detail about how he and Joe used a dozer and a winch and a skidder and it's winch to gently set the car hauler in place. He said it took them most of the day to do it but it went well and they didn't have a lot of trouble. The next day, he said he drove their welding truck down there and welded the sides in place and welded the car hauler to the steel they had driven into the rock.

Two things stood out to me. One, it only took 2 guys to get it into place in a relatively short period of time. Two, they drove a regular 4 X 4 truck right down to the car hauler to get the welding done. He said that back then, that road was really good and it was no problem to drive right down there.

Anyways, just thought I'd share. It was a really cool conversation and I look forward to talking to him again when he comes back to the shop to complete the job. I also plan on getting Joe's side of the story when he drops by the shop sometime.
Back to top Go down
Bluedevil
Heavy Mudder
Bluedevil

PostSubject: Re: The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there....   The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there.... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 5:30 pm

thats pretty cool.
Back to top Go down
cole795
Beginner
cole795

PostSubject: Re: The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there....   The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there.... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 6:09 pm

The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there.... 956631 Thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there....   The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there.... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:19 pm

awesome info, thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
MattN03
Heavy Mudder
MattN03

PostSubject: Re: The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there....   The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there.... EmptyWed May 22, 2013 9:25 pm

Great story! Thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
imbill
Extreme Mudder
imbill

PostSubject: Re: The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there....   The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there.... EmptyThu May 23, 2013 7:42 pm

The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there.... 169520
Back to top Go down
CNC_guy
Lite Mudder
CNC_guy

PostSubject: Re: The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there....   The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there.... EmptyFri May 24, 2013 9:55 am

He also made the statement that the owner at the time might see some ATVs or motorcycles at a gas station and he would invite them to come ride his property. He said that he loved for people to ride out there and enjoy the area. I sure wish he still owned it.
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

PostSubject: Re: The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there....   The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there.... EmptySun Apr 13, 2014 9:19 pm

Cool story!
Back to top Go down
Muddy Melvin
Lite Mudder

PostSubject: Re: The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there....   The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there.... EmptyMon Apr 14, 2014 7:56 am

That's a cool story. Thanks for the info. Now if I could only see it up close and personal. I've never been there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there....   The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there.... Empty

Back to top Go down

The infamous Car Hauler and how it got there....
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mud and Guts Offroad Forum :: General Discussion :: General Discussion-
Jump to: