Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!

Go down 
+3
Mud-and-Guts
mudhound
NCMudman
7 posters
AuthorMessage
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! Empty
PostSubject: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 1:31 am

Well....... After 3 years and easliy 1500+ miles, the sipes on my Radial laws were long gone. I was still very suprised at how good of traction the still got overall, but still I could tell a difference since the sipes were gone, especially on hardpack terrain and rocks.... which is my main terrian I love to ride in!

So I decided to experiment. After trial and error with a few different things, I finally discovered a way to groove them, and it wasn't a tire groover!! It was a metal wheel grinder!!

The Rear tires do have a different type of groove inside lug vs outside lug, due to in between days of grooving, my brother changed out the grinding wheel!

Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! Groove10

Went a little different up front. Decided to do 2 grooves down the lugs.

Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! Groove11

Tell me what yall think!!
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 6:51 am

seems like a good idea. I guess?????? Makes me wonder ????
Back to top Go down
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 6:01 pm

Lol what ya wondering about?? Yes some may think it's crazy to cut up a tire, especially one this expensive, but to me I think it's gonna add new life to the tires. Give them some new biting edges. Plus I think it looks pretty cool IMO! lol
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 9:44 pm

looks good bro!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
RIDERED
Over the Top Mudder
RIDERED

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 10:48 am

Anything to make them last longer with better traction is a good idea!
Back to top Go down
imbill
Extreme Mudder
imbill

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 3:02 pm

GOOD DEAL i have an iron and do that also and it works !!
Back to top Go down
possume22
Moderate Mudder
possume22

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 8:38 pm

looks good mudman im sure it helped alot you can use a cut off wheel for smaller sipes i had some boggers once i cut and grooved i made small deep sipes to make the tire flex more but i done it for climbing rock
Back to top Go down
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks guys!!! I sure hope to get good results... If not, I just got one cool custom set of tires!!
Back to top Go down
oldmustangjunkie
Moderate Mudder
oldmustangjunkie

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 10:19 pm

I think it will work very well for traction but I wonder if the front lugs will begin to chunk off.
Back to top Go down
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 10:58 pm

That remains to be seen!! I know that with the original siping, I had very little chunking, or parts of the lugs coming off, and with my new design, I have larger chunks of lugs in between the sipes, so we will see!!
Back to top Go down
possume22
Moderate Mudder
possume22

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 12:56 am

keep us posted on how they hold up you going to the spring jam at windrock this year
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 6:18 am

I sure hope it works. However, I am not sure i would have tried it??
Back to top Go down
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 10:18 pm

possume22 wrote:
keep us posted on how they hold up you going to the spring jam at windrock this year

I may be real lucky to make it up a day. I'm gonna try to shoot for Saturday
Back to top Go down
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 10:19 pm

mudhound wrote:
I sure hope it works. However, I am not sure i would have tried it??

Lol I wasn't skierd!! It's a pretty common thing. People groove tires more than I realized.
Back to top Go down
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 10:23 pm

Well here is the fronts done!!

Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! Groove12

Went for a small ride around dads house. Boy the fronts feel brand new!! They sure get a much better grip and track way better. The rear also have improved. Those new biting edges help to dig better now. In a sence I wish I would have groved the rears the same, but it's all good.....

Highly recomend groovin your tires if they are worn down.... Gives them new life!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!   Grooving my Radial Outlaws!! Empty

Back to top Go down

Grooving my Radial Outlaws!!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mud and Guts Offroad Forum :: General Discussion :: Wheels and Tires-
Jump to: