Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Changing wheel bearings

Go down 
+2
Mud-and-Guts
DrMud
6 posters
AuthorMessage
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Changing wheel bearings Empty
PostSubject: Changing wheel bearings   Changing wheel bearings EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 7:20 pm

I bought a 20 ton press thursday, put it togethor friday and used it today to change my wheel bearings. (My family has never owned a press, just a big hammer and a hard piece of metal, or a block of wood)....so this is new to me.......I used too big a socket and messed up a knuckle on the first bearing press, curled the edge off, thought the socket would fit, it did, just a little tight...., no problem, ordered a new knuckle ($200 mistake plus two bearings), but I changed the other 2 ok. I used the old wheel bearing for the final bearing seat push in. I did freeze the bearings first for shrinkage. Am I missing any tricks?

Could probably still use the old knuckle, the keeper ring stayed in ok...may have buggered the second bearing up alittle before I figured this out...may keep for a spare...
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Changing wheel bearings   Changing wheel bearings EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 8:26 pm

I got a spare for the rhino and I almost bet it is the same as the griz, maybe wrong.. I take the old bearings and grind down the outer radious so the drop in and use them to press in the new bearings, I usually use a bearing driver with a big hammer.. A frozen bearing normally just slides right in.

Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
oldmustangjunkie
Moderate Mudder
oldmustangjunkie

PostSubject: Re: Changing wheel bearings   Changing wheel bearings EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 10:59 pm

Neil wrote a thread about using a blind hole bearing puller that is better than any other method I have used to remove wheel bearings.
Back to top Go down
mudhound
Extreme Mudder
mudhound

PostSubject: Re: Changing wheel bearings   Changing wheel bearings EmptySun Apr 22, 2012 7:21 am

I will just pay my nephew to do it.
Back to top Go down
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

PostSubject: Re: Changing wheel bearings   Changing wheel bearings EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 5:39 pm

^^^ Yep what he said!! I jsut take my hub to a local machine shop and have them take the old bearing out and press a new one in... 10 Bucks a hub!! Well worth it to me!!
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Changing wheel bearings   Changing wheel bearings EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 7:32 pm

NCMudman wrote:
^^^ Yep what he said!! I jsut take my hub to a local machine shop and have them take the old bearing out and press a new one in... 10 Bucks a hub!! Well worth it to me!!

I've changed mine so much ten bucks would get expensive! lol
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

PostSubject: Re: Changing wheel bearings   Changing wheel bearings EmptyTue Apr 24, 2012 7:56 pm

The press cost $189, so if I quit breaking stuff, I will get ahead on this. My son has gone through all his bearings once and probably needs them again, I will be good for awhile after this.
Back to top Go down
NCMudman
Heavy Mudder
NCMudman

PostSubject: Re: Changing wheel bearings   Changing wheel bearings EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 6:21 pm

For some reason I go through bearing too... I don't know why.... lol
Back to top Go down
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

PostSubject: Re: Changing wheel bearings   Changing wheel bearings EmptyWed Apr 25, 2012 10:17 pm

i knock mine out with the air hammer and punch.
then get the new ones in with the bench vise and socket
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Changing wheel bearings   Changing wheel bearings Empty

Back to top Go down

Changing wheel bearings
Page 1 of 1