Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Who's Painted Plastic

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

Who's Painted Plastic Empty
PostSubject: Who's Painted Plastic   Who's Painted Plastic EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 12:12 am

I am interested in painting the plastic on my rhino and would like to hear how everyone likes theirs, how you prepped yours(before-during painting), what kind of paint you used, how you take care of it, and etc.....

As much detail as possible (with picture's) is appreciated!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mudandgutsoffroad.org
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

PostSubject: Re: Who's Painted Plastic   Who's Painted Plastic EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 12:56 am

-first washed with soap and water real good
-wet sanded with 1000
-wiped down with laquer thinner
-looked for any shinney spots, mainly in the body line creases and hit them with scotch brite
-wipe down with thinner again
-check for any visual scratches and sanded again with 1200
-wipe down with thinner one last time
-wipe down with tack cloth
-shoot some color

i used rattle cans, valspar for plastic that i got from lowes. i shot the under side with black krylon fusion and its finish it alot dryer looking. the valspar has a much wetter and smoother finish

Who's Painted Plastic 0928081513

Who's Painted Plastic 1002081727

Who's Painted Plastic 0928081521
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Who's Painted Plastic   Who's Painted Plastic EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 1:04 am

Thanks bro that's awesome.. How are you liken the black finish? is it hard to keep looking good?

I think I am going to paint mine black(when the day comes).
Back to top Go down
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

PostSubject: Re: Who's Painted Plastic   Who's Painted Plastic EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 1:09 am

not hard to keep clean really. i never did clear coat mine and now ive got some stains. and i tried to wax it once and started to rub some color off so i stopped.
my plastics now have seen better days thanks to encounters trees. ive got another blue set to put on but id still like to paint another set. id like to try some automotive paint this time just to have more color options
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Who's Painted Plastic   Who's Painted Plastic EmptySat Jun 12, 2010 1:16 am

moto92 wrote:
not hard to keep clean really. i never did clear coat mine and now ive got some stains. and i tried to wax it once and started to rub some color off so i stopped.
my plastics now have seen better days thanks to encounters trees. ive got another blue set to put on but id still like to paint another set. id like to try some automotive paint this time just to have more color options

I've got a good friend who runs a body shop and we talked about using some adhesion promoter designed for automotive bumpers and trying it. We talked about painting it black with blue metal flakes....
Back to top Go down
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

PostSubject: Re: Who's Painted Plastic   Who's Painted Plastic EmptySun Jun 13, 2010 2:03 am

im wanting to do something orange next... i think
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Who's Painted Plastic   Who's Painted Plastic EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 10:07 am

moto92 wrote:
im wanting to do something orange next... i think

I agree the Krylon has to flat a finish!!!! Who's Painted Plastic 9695
Back to top Go down
Tim
Lite Mudder
Tim

PostSubject: Re: Who's Painted Plastic   Who's Painted Plastic EmptyThu Jun 17, 2010 4:32 pm

Mine is painted blue. It has some kind of automotive paint on it. It is holding up real nice. I wax it after almost everyride. It does scratch, and with all the brush and trees where we ride it still looks good.

Tim
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Who's Painted Plastic   Who's Painted Plastic EmptySat Jul 24, 2010 7:23 pm

Tim wrote:
Mine is painted blue. It has some kind of automotive paint on it. It is holding up real nice. I wax it after almost everyride. It does scratch, and with all the brush and trees where we ride it still looks good.

Tim

I may have to try that in the future...
Back to top Go down
450R
Heavy Mudder
450R

PostSubject: Re: Who's Painted Plastic   Who's Painted Plastic EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 4:28 pm

Mud-and-Guts wrote:
Tim wrote:

Tim

What color will it be on the next ride??????

I think maybe we need a contest to see who can guess the next color
lol
Back to top Go down
Mud-and-Guts
Admin
Mud-and-Guts

PostSubject: Re: Who's Painted Plastic   Who's Painted Plastic EmptySun Jul 25, 2010 5:21 pm

450R wrote:
Mud-and-Guts wrote:
Tim wrote:

Tim

What color will it be on the next ride??????

I think maybe we need a contest to see who can guess the next color
lol

lol Who's Painted Plastic 634495
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who's Painted Plastic   Who's Painted Plastic Empty

Back to top Go down

Who's Painted Plastic
Page 1 of 1