Mud and Guts Offroad Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Welcome to the Mud and Guts Offroad Forum/family!! www.mudandgutsoffroadforum.org
Happy Trails!
Top posting users this month
No user

Helmets

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Helmets   Helmets EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:17 pm

I recently realized that I knew very little on helmets, discovered the Snell Foundation, called them, they gave me permission and encouraged to copy and paste their info on any forums for educational purposes.

http://www.smf.org/

Who/What is Snell?
William "Pete" Snell was an amateur auto racer. He died needlessly in a racing event in 1956 when his then state-of- the-art helmet utterly failed to protect him. In memory of Pete, a number of his friends, colleagues and fellow racers including Dr. George Snively, formed the Snell Memorial Foundation to try to improve helmet design and capabilities, and to encourage the development and use of truly protective helmets.

Last edited by DrMud on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:19 pm

How do I know whether a new motorcycle helmet is a good fit for me?
First, you should try a few helmet models to find one that feels most snug and comfortable all the way around the head. To check if the helmet is too big, you should buckle the strap and try to pull the lower back of the helmet forward and then push the front brow area of the helmet backward to see if the helmet will slip off either way. If it does, the helmet is too large. A new motorcycle helmet should fit very snugly. Most people buy a new motorcycle helmet one size too big. To make sure the helmet is not too small, you should leave the helmet on your head for at least five to ten minutes to see if there is any feeling of pressure point. Some helmet models have exchangeable cheek pads for better comfort.

How do I choose a helmet?
Buying a helmet is much like buying anything that is important to you. You should choose a helmet based on its ability to do the job it's intended for, regardless of whether or not it's to satisfy a law or if you want the best protection available. First you need to decide about the things that matter to you. There are a number of items that are important in finding a helmet that suits you. Snell recommends the following no matter what helmet you buy:

Fit - Make sure that the size and shape of the helmet are suited to your head. Sizing in helmets, even many of the numerical sizes may not be consistent from brand to brand or even model to model. Additionally make sure the retaining system is effective comfortable and easy to use.
Comfort - Make sure the helmet is as comfortable to wear as possible. It is likely to be on your head for a while and it should not become so annoying that you are distracted from the important task of riding safely. Also, choose an appropriate helmet for the type of riding you will do most frequently and the environment you're riding in. Full face helmets offer a measure of protection from impacts to the face, and flying debris like cigarette butts and gravel as well as helping to avoid the dreaded insectus dentus adhesion affliction, or "Bug Tooth Syndrome". Full face helmets do tend to retain more heat though which is a consideration as well.
Style - This may seem trivial and not related to safety, but it does have it's place. Get a helmet you like. For many riding is a big part of their life. It's not just transportation, but also an important recreational activity, even a lifestyle. It is common sense to conclude that a rider is more likely to consistently wear something he or she likes rather than something that they do not.
Safety - The only thing that can be added is that Snell has been concerning itself solely with helmets and head protection for over fifty years. Our focus does not include trying to sell you a helmet, trying to require you wear a helmet or trying to limit the innovation of helmets. For years Snell has merely tried to educate consumers about the importance of a good helmet and point riders who are concerned with protecting the stuff between their ears toward helmets that perform to the Snell standards.
Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 pm

"I dropped my helmet! Do I have to go buy a new one?"
Generally the answer is probably not. Helmets are one-use items, but are quite durable otherwise, at least the ones we certify. Frequent dropping or spiking a helmet on the ground, or other hard surfaces may eventually degrade the helmet's performance. Similarly if the helmet falls to the ground at highway speeds unoccupied, the owner must be aware that some degradation may have occurred. In general, the real damage comes when the helmet contacts an object with a head inside. The Foundation recommends that if you are participating in an activity that requires that you wear a helmet, you avoid hitting stuff with your head. It can be difficult to readily determine if a helmet has been damaged, and the protective capabilities compromised without a thorough inspection by a trained professional. Some manufacturers may provide this service or direct you to these others that can perform these inspections. The Foundation recommends that if you suspect your helmet may be compromised, then replace it. If the helmet has been involved in an impact while in use, replace it.

Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Why should you replace your helmet every five years?
The five-year replacement recommendation is based on a consensus by both helmet manufacturers and the Snell Foundation. Glues, resins and other materials used in helmet production can affect liner materials. Hair oils, body fluids and cosmetics, as well as normal "wear and tear" all contribute to helmet degradation. Petroleum based products present in cleaners, paints, fuels and other commonly encountered materials may also degrade materials used in many helmets possibly degrading performance. Additionally, experience indicates there will be a noticeable improvement in the protective characteristic of helmets over a five-year period due to advances in materials, designs, production methods and the standards. Thus, the recommendation for five-year helmet replacement is a judgment call stemming from a prudent safety philosophy.

Back to top Go down
DrMud
Over the Top Mudder
DrMud

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:26 pm

A lot of good reading on this sight, you can check and see if you helmet is Snell certified. Mine is a thor Quadrant. it is snell and DOT certified.

Last edited by DrMud on Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
RIDERED
Over the Top Mudder
RIDERED

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:26 pm

good info
Back to top Go down
Moto92
Extreme Mudder
Moto92

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 10:08 pm

a good helmet has saved me more than a few time back when i was racing quads. one time i wrecked and went head first into a tree stump. id probably be dead or atleast knocked silly if i wasnt wearing one.
Back to top Go down
ricsplac
Extreme Mudder
ricsplac

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyWed Feb 22, 2012 12:58 pm

Helmets are in my opinion a "Lifeline", never ride without one!
Back to top Go down
MattN03
Heavy Mudder
MattN03

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 1:53 pm

ricsplac wrote:
Helmets are in my opinion a "Lifeline", never ride without one!

x2!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Helmets Empty
PostSubject: Re: Helmets   Helmets Empty

Back to top Go down

Helmets
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mud and Guts Offroad Forum :: General Discussion :: General Atv/SxS Discussion and Product Reviews.-
Jump to: